I have been a little out of the loop on this. I used to think nobody was working on increasing compability anymore but then I saw a patch for FF12 that finally gets everything working without without the need for the player to do anything.
I tried googling this information but most of the results were messageboard posts from 2005-2006. Sksapps didn't seem to have anything more recent than the FF12 patch either.
1. This is still the latest version of HD Loader right? It was released a while ago. Is there anything else I can use that has better compatibility? (Other than ToxicOS, can't use that since I have a Matrix Infinity)
2. What would be the best site to check for compability that is still updated? I used to use this:
But it dosen't seem to be updated anymore, and has lacking information on Japanese import titles.
3. Has there been on any news for making any of the following games playable?
Bloody Roar 3
Jak X (Supposedly works in ToxicOS but not HD Loader 0.8c)
Kingdom Hearts II
Ratchet & Clank
Also, there seems to be almost no HD Loader information on the several Galaxy Angel games that were released on the PS2, any info on those?
4. I noticed something strange. Nearly every guide tells me that dual-layer disks such as Xenosaga 1 or God of War 2 will not work and that I will need to install them from the PC. However, I was able to install these off my PS2 fine. HD Loader clearly shows that the data it installed is over the 4.5 gig limit of DVD5 disks (GoW2 is reported as 8GB) and while I havent fully tested GoW2 yet, I was able to start a new game as well as fight the last boss and view the ending in Xenosaga 1.
5. This is a kinda minor thing so maybe thats why nobody mentioned it, but I noticed with HD Loader that a vast majority of my games (like maybe 80% or more) will not boot unless there is a PS2 game in the disk drive, any game.
6. Finally, I have some games listed as working that actually do NOT work... in any way. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, it will go to the game select menu, but after that it crashes when trying to load a game. Even if the modchip is OFF and I load the game off the disk it does this. I also noticed that for some strange reason, even though I am using an unofficial 500GB HDD and disable my modchip, the game STILL detects my HDD, then fails to install because I never created the 40gb PS2 partition. My guess is the game still thinks it is installed and is trying to load off the HDD instead of the disk, since I hear no access noise from the disk when attempting to load the game after going to the game select menu, I didn't hear about anybody else having such problems with this game and the HD Loader compability sites list the game as working. The game works and installs fine on my non-modded ps2 with an official HDD, but id prefer to have it on my HD Loader PS2, I pretty much use my other PS2 just for FFXI now.