I have been doing a lot of research for the past week about my HDLoader problem, and I think it's high time to finally post. For some reason, my PS2 actually destroys my games within a few weeks worth of play. Somehow, the laser (or the housing of the laser) rises to the point where it scratches the disc. I broke two DDRMax2 discs and my Hitman 2 disc as well. With this in mind, I really like to eliminate my need to leave a disc in the tray.
I have a retail copy of HDLoader. I have a PS2 network card, and I also have a 160 GB Maxtor hard drive that is working. I have about 15 games on my hard drive right now, and they are all playable. My PS2 version is SCPH-30001. I do not have any mod chips, but I do have my friend's Swap Magic CD for another week.
1) Be able to load HDLoader from the memory card
2) Be able to patch my HDloader with the 48-bit patch
3) Be able to skin my HDLoader
4) Peace on earth
What I've Tried So Far:
I used this tutorial from maxconsole for my MC Exploit. I used the PS2 game Capcom vs. SNK for my trigger disc (SLUS).
I followed the guide to the letter, and I was able to get up to the "Installation Complete!" screen. I made sue my MC was on port 1, and the trigger disc was in the tray. Instead of the PS2Menu, the game actually ran and loaded.
I used this tutorial I found in one of the threads here for my MC Exploit. I used the PS2 game Capcom vs. SNK for my trigger disc (SLUS).
I got all the way to #12 and I stopped because I already have files from Method 1. I am not sure if it is safe for me to "empty" out this folder.
I used this tutorial from lookatthemonkeys.com for my MC Exploit.
I got all the way to the part where I burn the resulting file created by CDGenPS2. I left the default name (imagen.bin) and burned the CD. After the swap magic disk, I loaded the burned CD and the system freezes.
I think the only success I've had so far is to install EXECFTPS.iso into my hard drive. When I run it from the HDLoader Menu, I can connect to my PS2 using FTP successfully.
Here come the questions...
1) How can I load my HDLoader on the memory card if the only HDloader I have is the retail CD? I tried looking for the hdloader.elf that is 2977792 bytes, but I had no success. I found this but my SLUS file in my HDLoader CD is only 4.71 MB (4,944,537 bytes).
2) Is there a way to eliminate having to put a disc to begin with? I figured my trigger disk will also be scratched in the long run.
3) Is my problem with my PS2 unique (scratching the disc)? If you know of anyone who has the same problem, or know of any solution, please let me know.
I guess I'll hold off on the patching and the skinning for now because I have yet to get #1 to work. I hope someone will take the time to help me with this.
Please make sure when posting links there are no files that are/or considered warez.