This will annoy PS2OxNZ, install apps without wasting more CDs
I don't know why but I have been banned from PS2OxNZ forums because of this information, although I don't think it is that offending. Anyway, I will try to release the information here for those who don't want to waste any more CDs.
1) First you need ExecFTP 0.61. There is an image somewhere that you burn in a CD and turns your PS2 into a FTP server. This will be the last CD you will burn.
2) Connect the PS2 to your PC using the Network Adapter and a crossed ethernet cable. Configure the connection in Windows with the following parameters:
3) Turn off all your firewalls, setup a FTP account in FlashFXP and set PASV to OFF. In the FTP account, the IP of the FTP server will be 192.168.0.10 (that's the IP of your PS2).
4) If you have DMS3 delete all the archives and folders showing "boot" in the path.
The next steps depend on whether you have a DMS3 chip or not.
For DMS3 users:
5) Create a "boot" folder in /mc/0/.
6) Take the explorer.elf file from DMS Explorer 1.0 CD. Open it with an Hex editor. Crack it by finding text strings containing "\" and replacing them with "/". The should be two near the end of the file (replace only those). This will allow FTP server to recognize the folder where DMS Explorer installs the applications.
7) Rename explorer.elf to boot.elf and copy it to /mc/0/boot.
8) Create a file called menu.txt in /mc/0/boot containing the following lines:
9) Create folders called "EXECFTP" and "PS2MENU" in /mc/0/boot/, and install there all the files of the EXECFTP and PS2MENU applications.
10) Now boot your PS2 pressing the triangle button of the DualShock, and see how the DMS explorer menu is there, with two applications ExecFTP and PS2Menu. You can install as many applications as you want like that.
If you don't have DMS3:
5) Create a folder called "EXECFTP" in /mc/0, and copy there all the files of the ExecFTP application.
6) Use the MC exploit to install the PS2MENU application (this is well documented in other posts, so I will not explain it here).
7) Insert the PS1 disk that you used for the MC exploit and run the PS2Menu application. From there you can always launch any other application. If you want to install new apps, just run ExecFTP and copy everything you want to your MC.
Now, really, do you think this information is so compromising that I have to be banned?