The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Weird Hard Drive Problem with HDLoader (Help Please)
Weird Hard Drive Problem with HDLoader (Help Please) –
I have been having a very odd problem with my hard drive and the HDLoader. Give me a few moments to convey the problem.
PS2 Model 50001 (Version 9)
Maxtor 250 GB Hard Drive
Using MC Exploit
I use WinHIIP to install images onto my hard drive and normally I have only around 20-30 games max on my hard drive. With this amount of games on my HD I never had any problems at all. I finally got around to installing a larger library (around 50 games) and after I had finished installing all the games I wanted and put my HD back in my PS2 and resumed to boot it. The MC exploit started like it would normally but when it attempted to load the HDD driver (PS2MENU) it gets stuck. It doesn't freeze per se (the PS2 HDD Activity Light is on) but it wont go past this and load the HDLoader ELF so I can enjoy my games.
Here are some information I can illuminate to help you guys figure out what my problem is. This is troubleshooting I have personally done myself.
1) The hard drive is not faulty, it had been checked with diagnostic tools and been cleanly cleaned with a full format.
2) It is not my PS2 because this issue occurs with other PS2's I have that are different models V1 and V4 at least.
3) The weird thing is that I tried this hard drive on my friends PS2 who doesn't use the MC exploit to boot HDLoader but instead has a modded ps2 and boots HDLoader from a CD directly. The verdict it boots up perfectly fine (weird huh)!
4) I do not use one of the more popular current HDLoader (0.7c) but I don't think this is the problem, as I said before if it boots up the HDLoader program reads it perfectly fine (My current HDLoader is a custom one I made myself that has 48-bit LBA patch).
5) I also updated to the newest PS2MENU cause I thought that might be the problem but no, same issue.
So I have no idea what the problem is at all. It just seems there are too many games on my hard drive. Weird thing is I see so many people on this forum with like 70+ games on their Hard Drives with no problem.
If anyone has encountered something like this and knows the fix please post it. Any help would be appreciated.
Some applications are incompatible with drives larger than 137GB and PS2Menu might be one of them. It could just be that it worked before because you hadn't crossed that threshold until now. My advice is to try LaunchElf (or uLaunchelf) in place of PS2menu. I dumped PS2Menu myself long ago after discovering the beautiful simplicity that is LaunchElf.
Alternatively, why not just have your HDLOADER itself be BOOT.ELF? You can place the exploit and a launcher program on another memory card, if needed.
Phreaker, thank you very much for the quick reply. I will attempt to look for LaunchELF. If you have any information where I can grab it from please let me know. Thank you again.
Note I had just edited my post a bit.
I had already thought of making HDLoader the BOOT.ELF and already attempted this. Unfortunately it did not start up at all.
Thank you very much Sub Zero for link.
Is that the newest version of LaunchELF ?
Originally Posted by Gireihei
That's strange, it ought to. But try Launchelf... make hdloader the default program and set the timeout to zero. Bang, automatic HDL loadup.
Originally Posted by Gireihei
Thank you very much again Phreaker and SubZero, will update accordingly after I have attempted these new tools.
Phreaker and SubZero thank you so much. LaunchELF works perfectly! I really like this program a lot better than PS2MENU, I think I'm going to add a couple more ELFs now (any maybe an updated HDLoader ELF)! (I love you guys!)