I've Searched, I've Read, I've Trolled, and I'm Still Lost
Before anyone flames or tells me to go search, I'd just like to say that I've searched numerous threads and posts, and I've seen many problems and solutions. I've seen many well informed individuals helping others throughout the forums and I hope some people will help me as they helped other people, in understanding this whole concept of the HD and all :pray: . With flatteries aside, here is my predicament:
I currently have a:
V7 US PS2 with a Messiah 2 Chip (Going to the shop to get fixed, new laser needed)
A copy of ******* Free HDLoader (Friend gave it to me to try out)
I'm currently about to get (In a day or two)
PS2 Network Adapter (Should I get the Ethernet one or Ethernet and Modem?? :chinscrat )
120 GB HD (Need to find one that is relatively cheap...... :chinscrat )
Here's what I do understand (for the most part)
-HDLoader by itself is able to copy games using the PS2 and install it onto the HD, after formatting the HD using HDLoader.
-Another way of transfering games is by hooking up the HD to the computer (via External USB case or actual installation of the HD in the computer). This method uses programs such as hdl_dump, WinHIIP, and other frontend GUIs and such (LordBagami's GUI, TheDecline's HDL_Dump, etc). (I'm interested in getting a External HD Case USB 2.0, if anyone has an opinion on a good case, I'm all ears :D )
-Yet another way of transfering games involve setting your PS2 up to your network and transferring it over the network. (Not too interested, since I don't have a router or anything.)
-There is something called a Memory Card Exploit (MC Exploit), which involves overflowing the PS1 Driver to allow third party programs and such from the memory card to run on the PS2.
-Programs that I've read that involves the MC Exploit include:
ps2os, ps2menu-k, KeyLauncher, LaunchElf, and etc.
Now here are some things I'm a bit confused about:
1) I've pretty much have always read MC Exploit and non-modded ps2 used in conjunction with each other. Very few posts I've read had modded ps2s with the MC Exploit (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
2) I've also understand that KeyLauncher and LaunchELF are programs which are used to start up other ELF programs. Are these installed on the Memory Cards or HD? What is ps2menu-k and the other similar programs used for?
3) How would I use those (LaunchELF, ps2menu, etc) in conjunction with HDLoader? (Not having to hook up via FTP)
4) The MC Exploit from ps2 independence, how would I use it if I'm not going to transfer via FTP and I have a modchip? I don't have nPort or any of those game saving utilities. Should I get nPort/napLink, etc?
5) What would I use a USB Pen Drive for? I do have a Jump Trio USB Drive.
6) Could I make HDLoader boot without the Disc? ie from MC? (Would I need a disc in the PS2 to start playing games on my HD, or would an ELF program(?) allow me to do so without having a disc in the drive?
7) I've read about how discs keep spinning or having the discs stop spinning in the PS2.....so does the disc keep spinning or what not while playing games off the HD?
8) What program would be best to transfer from PC ---> PS2 HD (External USB 2.0 Case)? WinHIIP, HDL_Dump, or frontend programs such as TheDecline's GUI or Lord's GUI frontends.
9) What other programs would I need if I need to modify boot/ELF/etc files? I have cdgenps2 so far. Besides the transfer program (WinHIIP/HDL_Dump/etc).
10) What is the copies of HDL and HDA ELF and All in one and HDL + ps2os about? (Located on ps2 independence website)
11) What are the different versions of HDL, how are they different? Packed, Unpacked, Exploited, etc?
12) Would someone please explain to me how I'd get ELFs onto my MC? I've read a bunch of threads, but still haven't able to grasp the concept.
These are about all the questions I can think of at the moment, although there is more I probably forgot right now. I'm sorry for making this a really long post, but I have many questions and am really interested in this :D ) I didn't want to make a thread and clutter up the forum, but in the end I was too lost to try and pick up information from other threads. This was sort of a last resort :cry: .
I hope someone or some people will be able to (or be willing to) help me out on this matter, so that I can be somewhat on par with other people and be able to understand what is being discussed. I've read quite a few tutorials and such (including lookatthemonkey) and I was still a bit confused. Sorry to take up thread space and other people's time, but I'd just like to know what's going on and be able to do this sort of thing in the future and perhaps help people like me in the future, once I understand all this! :D
Thanks for reading and I hope people will be able to help me out, seeing that I can't find an "Ultimate Tutorial/Sticky" involving a detailed guide or explanation of everything (Or something even close to that). Please feel free to PM and post if you're able to help! And as a last note.... I did use the search button and found much information, but I got even more confused after that! :wow: Thanks! :dance:
PS: I've been keeping up with the threads regarding the TimeStamp Problem and the Black Screen of Death, things seem to be looking pretty good! Hope the guys working on them are able to solve them in the future! Good Luck to them! :dance:
PSS: If anyone of the information I've provided is wrong, please correct me! That way I know I'm getting the correct information.
At least one answer to your question
Bypassing some of your questions :) I'll answer what I can
#2 & #3 Keylauncher and launchelf reside in a system config folder on the memory card (mc). They get relabled as a "boot.elf" and therefore are the first program accessed when the exploit is used (meaning that the exploit forces the ps2 to run this boot program. These launchers allow you to assign controller keys (r1, r2, l1, l2, ect...) to launch other .elfs found in the system config folder dir. on the mc.
#6 & #7
Yeah, the keylauncher allows you to run hdloader as an .elf form the mc, but the explouit requires you to have an assigned ps1 disk in the drive every time at boot to force the exploit. The disk does keep spinning unless you use a patched version of the hdloader .elf (see below for more info)
#8 I use winhiip to dump ISOs onto the ps2 drive and it works like a charm.
moving onto #11:
There is the original, stock hdloader.elf file (stripped from the retail program). It starts off as a packed file. You have to unpack it, add the patch, and repack it to be up to date. Search for BMP Batch by ps2stuff and Fat_Mike (look for HDLOADER Skinks thread) on these boards to find a great batch file to handle it for you.
The answer to #12 is to search for my post from earlier today (October 5).
SephirothTNH replied with a very easy to use tutorial about getting your system up and running with the MC exploit. Check it out!