I have few remarks I wish to share. Even if WinHIIP "modifies" gamelist.log, it does not alters the length of the file. That means, that even the real data is located where it should be, noone will ever look for it there, since it is behind end-of-file, or worse - data will not be there (since one or more games have been deleted), because file size is longer that is should be.
Here is how to verify this:
- get a PS2 HDD with no games installed;
- install two games using WinHIIP;
- connect HDD to PS2 and copy gamelist.log file to the PC (my method: copy to mc with ps2menu & use ps2link); file size is 32 bytes and game names are not there;
- start HD Loader, restart the console and copy the file again;
- now gamelist.log file is 432 bytes long and names of the games are there (that looks like 32 bytes header + 200 bytes per game);
- install two more games from the PC using WinHIIP;
- gamelist.log is not changing its size nor the new games are there; they will be, if you run HD Loader first.
So what is the conclusion? Even the chosen path looks right it is not. And the goal achieved is incompatibility with other Windowz installers, but does it really worth it?
"Only those who try will become." -- Kimahri Ronso