First Attempt at HDD stuff....would like opinions
I just got back my PS2 and finally bit the bullet and put in a hard drive....a 20GB Hitatchi DK23DA-20F....which is a Laptop hard drive!
when i finally got that installed right, i went ahead and started looking for info on what programs were needed to put games and homebrews on this thing. i had a couple of goals to attempt to do:
1. Create a memory card that would allow me to use the hard drive on non-modified systems
2. find a way to autoboot from the memory card or the hard drive
3. find a way to be able to use my hard drive as a memory card archive (for use of backing up my save game files)
4. install a DivX player
5. run an emulator or 2 off the hard drive with roms to be put on a dvd.
6. find a way to run originals and backups on a non modified system by running the ELF code directly off the disc (as opposed to swapping).
i've done some searching both here and google, and i started getting an idea of what i needed....but there are *SO* many tools out there that i wanted to get an opinion of what everyone around here used and how they had thier drives setup.
i'd like to know:
1. What program you use to launch an HDD explorer (key launcher?)
2. What program you use as your HDD Explorer (*** Explorer? HDLoader?)
3. What programs are easiest to use for FTP access
4. What programs come the closest to meeting my goals
i'd like to know what everyone thinks are the benefits *AND* limitations/cons of any particular program. *PLEASE* support your opinions with facts...or at least examples.
i'm a newbie to this HDD stuff, but not to the scene, so it's cool to talk technobabble to me....however in the end i'm looking to create a setup for use by a 10 or 11 year old boy....something easy to use but hard to screw up.
keep in mind the forum rules, guys...if it shouldn't be posted in here, please send me a PM instead. I want the knowledge, not the drama.
thank you all