This is a quick Tutorial on how to make your old school controllers useable on your ps2
WARNING: If done incorrectly you may cause damage to your PS2, controllers, etc. I am not responsible.
#1: Setting up your ps2 controller as a host
- For a connector I used a joystick extension I got at a local PC parts shop for like $7. You want to cut about 1ft off for your host controller and can use the rest for your NES/Genesis controller.
- You want to get a PSX controller that you can take apart to use as a host controller. I got mine at BestBuy for like $5 and it's a MadCatz.
- Then take the plastic cover off of it, and take the circuit board out.
- You may want to drill a hole for the wire in the back piece of the controller cover to pass the wire through.
- Now you want to drill out a hole for each button so you can pass the wires for each button through the back.
-Here is the color coding I used:
Green - Start
L Green - Select
Brown - Ground
Red - Up
Orange - Down
Yellow - Left
Blue - Right
Pink - Triangle
Gray - Square
Violet - X
White - Circle
- Solder each of the corresponding wires to the points on the PSX board, may want to use a little flux to help it stick.
- Make sure all of the connections are good and put the controller back together.
- Now you have a host controller for this mod. (P.S. if you do it this way the PSX controller is still fully functional)
#2: Setting up your old school controller
- Pick the controller you want to use for your emulator. These are pics of a Sega Genesis controller, the one with just A,B,C.
- Now you want to take the cover off and take the genesis circuit board out.
- You now are going to want to cut off the contoller wire and remove/desolder all of the components on the board such as the reistors, etc. (They can damage your PS2)
- Now for the soldering. I just followed the buttons to the corresponding holes the controller used originally.
- Here are the corresponding colors for the Genesis controller:
Start - Green
A - Gray
B - Violet
C - White
Ground - Brown
- Now put the controller back together and you are done.
All you have to do is plug the male end of the joystick wire coming from your Genesis controller into the female end coming out of the PSX.
If you use the setup like this, you can mod all of your old school controllers and just plug in whichever one you want!