Questions about exploit
Alright before I start, I'm a member of several other forums (non-PS2 related) and I recognize how annoying newbie questions can be, although I underestimated the difficulty of actually finding what I'm looking for, and it has added much confusion and ambiguity from what different people are saying, so answers will most definitely be helpful.
What I have: PS2, 5002 model + Network Adaptor (on my network) + Memory Card + old PSone game software (Final Fantasy VII PAL, Guardian's Crusade PAL) (note: As for a hard drive, I plan on getting one this week, I just thought I should sus everything out first)
Goals: To successfully run and install homebrew software without using swapmagic, usb pen drive or modchip.
Anyways, questions are..
1. is the MC Exploit, PSOne disc exploit and independence exploit all the same thing? if not, could someone please list the differences, and basically give me the jist of what other exploits are?
2. What will the Knife Trick allow me to do, and how can I do it? Will I HAVE to do it everytime I want to run a piece of homebrew software, even if it's installed to the hard disk?
3. PSOne Game + Knife Trick + CD with exploit installed? Or piece of homebrew software? = success?
4. This question'll undoubtedly piss a few people off. But does hdloader run without the disc? I want to install a backup copy first (considering after buying my hdd my funds will be depleted)
and as much of a fan I am of open-source free software, I'd like to try both HDAdvance and HDLoader before I decide which I'd like to buy, starting with hdloader because that's what I have the most information on. But yeah, does HDLoader install itself to the hard disk, or does the software stay on the disc, and just run whenever you put it in? If so, how can I change that?
Rest assured, I do plan on buying one of them, but my impatience is killing me :D
That's all the questions I have now, MUCH THANKS to anyone and everyone who can provide some clear insight on this subject :rant:
Although I belive that most if not all of these questions have been ansered on these forums before. However I will atempt to answer some of your questions.
1. they are all the same. It will not work on a version 11 ps2.
2. It allows you to swap disks. Search for how. Yes and No. If the software is on the hdd than you will not need to do it to run it, only if it is a burned disk.
3. No. Swap disk + knife trick/slide card + CD with exploit Or software = success
4. Yes if you set up the exploit, search for how to do that. do not ask for the hdl or hda elf on this site it is warez.
There is no need to try out both before you buy. The two products are 100% the same hda just has a diferent skin. Both work with the patch that is in the hdd forum. Also as I said before do not ask for either of those files here, you will not get help and nobody will like you if you do.
Edit: Oh yeah. hdl/hda do not install themselvs to the hdd the software stays on the disk.
I do suggest using a USB drive and AR MAX to install... borrow one or buy and return... Once you have the exploit installed and running you can add more softwre from you PC and never need the USB drive again....
there are craploads of homebrew apps to use... I have KeyLauncher, HD Loader, CD Loader, PS2Menu-k, ExecFTP, HDL Server, FAPLink, HDD Format and HDD Explorer on y MCs.... not all on one card (PS2Menu-k on seperate card...). All you really need is a few key progs on the MC and the rest can be setup to run from the HDD...
dam thats one long post...
1) MC exploit is just a term used to define running a homebrew app through MC by inserting a ps1 game. it can be any app that is compatible. the only exception is there can only be 1 program running at a time from the exploit hence the reason for keylauncher or MC loader.
2) knife trick refers to sticking the knife into ps2 in order to open the cd tray w/o using the eject button. if you press the eject button, the ps2 will do a cd check before booting therefore noticing the disc is not official and wont boot it. yes you will need to use knife trick or slide card to boot a cd-r but you also require some form of cheat device like gameshark. if it is on the hdd using hdloader then no you dont need to use knife trick.
3) not sure what you mean...the exploit basically allows you to run a homebrew app w/o having to use knife trick (swapping) but does require files on the MC.
4) hdloader can be run several ways...either by the original cd, cd-r, by MC exploit, by ps2menu and manually choosing it, or by using a program like keylauncher or mcloader to boot it. all will produce the same results so...your choice. id stick with the keylauncher or mcloader way but just my opinion.