Recently everyone that still is ONLINE with PSN have now received an in advance email notice from Sony that states starting April 1st, 2011 Nope, it not a Early Joke, Sony loves this day for some reason, it was the same date they removed "Other OS" last year! That all PSN Accounts are going to be transfered over from SCEA to a new company called SNEA and if you do not accept the new Terms Of Service, your existing PSN account will be CLOSED and any leftover PSN funds will be returned!
Here is the email from Playstation, which is in fact REAL, unlike some early reports!
Remember originally SCEA had promised that PSN would be FREE forever, but now that does not matter as it is a whole new company in charge of PSN called SNEA, and here is some of the major changes:Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 21:26:53 -0500
From: PlayStation Network <PlayStation_Network@playstation.innovyx.net>
Subject: Important Notice: New Terms of Service and User Agreement
An important message to you from the PlayStation(R)Network team at Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.
On April 1, 2011, Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC ("SCEA") will transfer its online services operations, including your wallet and the funds in it, to Sony Network Entertainment America Inc. ("SNEA").
The first time you sign in to your Sony Online Services account on or after April 1, you will be asked to enter into a new Terms of Service and User Agreement with SNEA. If you do not wish to enter into a contract with SNEA, you may decline the terms of service and we will close your account(s) and return your funds. You can preview the new Terms of Service and User Agreement with SNEA at:
PlayStation(R)Network will continue to provide you with the highest standard of interactive entertainment. Your access to the best games, movies, TV shows, music and friends will remain intact. Thank you very much for being part of the PlayStation(R)Network online community! We look forward to continuing to bring you the best in innovative online entertainment!
Your PlayStation(R)Network password and Sign-on ID (MY PSN ID) is required to sign in to your Sony Online Services account. Please go to >> PlayStation® Knowledge Center | Support - PlayStation.com to ensure your account information is accurate and updated.
The PlayStation(R)Network Team
"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks and "PS3" and "PlayStation Network" are trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
(C) 2011 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404
1. ACCOUNT REGISTRATION
[...] Currently, there is no charge to create a Sony Online Services account [...]The keywords above is Currently and imposing a fee !!!15. GENERAL LEGAL
[...] SNEA, at its sole discretion, may modify the terms of this Agreement at any time, including imposing a fee for creating PSN accounts. [...]
And as for reports on needing a credit card now, it seems it's only when you create a sub account for a child, as the new agreement allows you to have multi-accounts, one master and a few "child" or "sub" accounts for family members!
And don't forgot the all important stuff regarding "modding" or "hacking" into their PSN Jewel, one of the major reasons for this change is removing the word "computer" and replacing it with "network" as this will give them more LEGAL power to sue people outside of their state as it no longer a "computer", but a "network service" that can be accessed from anyplace![...]If you are creating a Sub Account for a child, you must provide [...] and (ii) your credit card information if requested by SNEA for Sub Accounts for children under the age of 13 in the United States and Canada or under the specific age applicable to your country. Your credit card will be used to verify parental consent under laws requiring such consent [...]
News Source: April 1st, 2011 - PSN ToS Updated Agreement• You may not upload, post, stream, or otherwise transmit any content that contains any viruses, worms, spyware, time bombs, or other computer programs that may damage, interfere with, or disrupt Sony Online Services.
• You may not use, make, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware, including Non-Licensed Peripherals and cheat code software or devices that circumvent any security features or limitations included on any software or devices, in conjunction with Sony Online Services, or take or use any data from Sony Online Services to design, develop or update such unauthorized software or hardware.
• You may not modify or attempt to modify the online client, disc, save file, server, client-server communication, or other parts of any game title, or content.
• You may not cause disruption to or modify or damage any account, system, hardware, software, or network connected to or provided by Sony Online Services for any reason, including for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage in a game.
• You may not attempt to hack or reverse engineer any code or equipment in connection with Sony Online Services.
• You may not introduce content that could be harmful to SNEA or its affiliates or their licensors, or players, such as any code or virus that may damage, alter or change any property or interfere with the use of property or Sony Online Services.
• You may not conduct any activities that violate any local, state or federal laws, including copyright or trademark infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, identity theft, hacking, stalking, fraud, stealing or using without purchasing, where payment is required, any content or service and distributing counterfeit software or Sony Online Services accounts.
Thanks to DJPS3 for informing us of the latest crazy Sony changes, and to Bwata for digging up the new changes to the ToS!