Summary of all that's happened for people just waking up and don't want to read thousands of post:
- New OFW 3.56 blocks all homebrew and is required for PSN access (PSN store, Netflix, online gaming, Home, etc.). Temporary workaround is DNS fix but will probably be dead in a couple of days.
- Devs working on new fix. Most guess a week or more. No one at this point knows if a new 3.56 CFW is even possible. Downgrading from 3.56 might require a hardware flash. I suspect they'll figure it out.
Speculative Dangers - speculative as far as no one will know until Sony play's their hand
- Risk PSN banning through DNS workaround
- Risk PSN banning through staying on CFW
- Risk PSN banning through upgrading to new OFW from CFW
- Reports are that some have been already banned for cheating in COD. Might be because they detected the cheat or might be because they detected the CFW.
- Stay on previous CFW and do without PSN access
- Upgrade to OFW to keep PSN access and lose homebrew
- Get another PS3 for offline CFW and one for OFW. Of course, the offline one wouldn't work well for those "backup" games that heavily rely on PSN (LBP2, etc.).
- Hope that current users of CFW's and future CFW's aren't being flagged and eventually banned for just having it installed.
- Be patient and wait for new CFW and word of who and why people are getting banned.