I happened to notice that three-socks used this in his menu library, so I decided to see what else can be done. Turns out a lot of this is already well documented. Basically you can make any blip or controller button show up in a string, by using something like ~BLIP_76~, or ~PAD_RSTICK_UPDOWN~. You can also use colors from a set of presets.
Quick example:ends up looking like this:HTML Code:PRINT_STRING_WITH_LITERAL_STRING_NOW("STRING", "~PAD_DPAD_UPDOWN~ ~PAD_SIXAXIS_ROLL~ test ~y~test ~r~test ~COL_NET_4~test ~COL_NET_1~test ~BLIP_76~ ~BLIP_81~", 3000, 1);
There are a lot of these in american.gxt, but the web is a great resource. After some searching I have a pretty complete list:
string PS3 360 string PS3 360 string PS3 360 ~PAD_A~ ~PAD_LSTICK_ALL~ ~PAD_RSTICK_ALL~ ~PAD_B~ ~PAD_LSTICK_UPDOWN~ ~PAD_RSTICK_UPDOWN~ ~PAD_X~ ~PAD_LSTICK_LEFTRIGHT~ ~PAD_RSTICK_LEFTRIGHT~ ~PAD_Y~ ~PAD_LSTICK_UP~ ~PAD_RSTICK_UP~ ~PAD_LB~ ~PAD_LSTICK_RIGHT~ ~PAD_RSTICK_RIGHT~ ~PAD_LT~ ~PAD_LSTICK_DOWN~ ~PAD_RSTICK_DOWN~ ~PAD_LSTICK_NONE~ ~PAD_LSTICK_LEFT~ ~PAD_RSTICK_LEFT~ ~PAD_RB~ ~PAD_BACK~ ~PAD_START~ ~PAD_RT~ ~PAD_SIXAXIS_DRIVE~ ~PAD_SIXAXIS_ROLL~ ~PAD_RSTICK_NONE~ ~PAD_SIXAXIS_PITCH~ ~PAD_SIXAXIS_RELOAD~ ~PAD_DPAD_ALL~ ~PAD_DPAD_UP~ ~PAD_UP~ ~PAD_DPAD_UPDOWN~ ~PAD_DPAD_DOWN~ ~PAD_DOWN~ ~PAD_DPAD_LEFTRIGHT~ ~PAD_DPAD_LEFT~ ~PAD_LEFT~ ~PAD_DPAD_NONE~ ~PAD_DPAD_RIGHT~ ~PAD_RIGHT~
string color string color string color ~b~ ███████ ~c~ ███████ ~g~ ███████ ~l~ ███████ ~m~ ███████ ~p~ ███████ ~r~ ███████ ~s~ ███████ ~w~ ███████ ~y~ (IV/TLaD) ███████ ~y~ (TBoGT) ███████ ~COL_NET_1~ ███████ ~COL_NET_2~ ███████ ~COL_NET_3~ ███████ ~COL_NET_4~ ███████ ~COL_NET_5~ ███████ ~COL_NET_6~ ███████ ~COL_NET_7~ ███████ ~COL_NET_8~ ███████ ~COL_NET_9~ ███████ ~COL_NET_10~ ███████ ~COL_NET_11~ ███████ ~COL_NET_12~ ███████ ~COL_NET_13~ ███████ ~COL_NET_14~ ███████ ~COL_NET_15~ ███████ ~COL_NET_16~ ███████
- ~n~ inserts a line break (only works well with PRINT type natives)
- ¬ returns a cool little R* logo
- ^ returns a 5 point star
- * returns a smaller 5 point star
- ~h~ highlights, using it after ~r~ will create a slightly brighter red, to cancel the highlight use another color tag.
so if you wanted a fully red string with one highlighted word, you would use:
~r~This red string has a ~h~highlighted~r~ word.
- There are also multiple ~a~, ~1~, and so on used in the game. Looking at how they are used I believe these return contents of variables in use, but I have yet to experiment with them.
(see next post, image limit reached)
Some additional notes:
- there is apparently a string limit or tag limit, notice the last blip is missing in my quick example (this blip works fine otherwise)
- all of these images have had a shadow added in photoshop, anything that is mostly white will be hard to see against white in game
- unfortunately none of these blips will be animated when used in a string, and their color cannot be updated either
- you can't use the colors without a space either preceding or following the color tag (game will crash)
- you can't use an incomplete tag like ~ or ~y (game will crash)
- there are LOTS of other tags that produce the same buttons as above, however they are control specific, not button specific, for example ~INPUT_SPRINT~ will most likely display whatever button is assigned to sprint in your control setup. Check out AMERICAN.GXT for some examples ( there is a reversed archive on Index of /GTA4 )
It's a pretty nice addition to modmanager if you tend to forget the controls for some things like I do: