VGA Test Results on v0.23
The results when selecting the following vmodes and titles:
VGA 1280x896 @60Hz:
- GT4 NTSC -> Everything is fine. I tested with all built-in GT4 Video Outputs:
Remembering that the two last ones (b and c) give us superior target (forced) results in VGA due to their higher framebuffer source (original) resolutions...! The GSM results is superior than MI(Matrix Infinity v1.93 modchip built-in VGA vmode) because GSM make proper screen scalling for (b) and (c); and avoids flickering (noticed on MI right after start races, when there are a lot of cars and stuff to PS2 manipulate). So I conclude the GSM code has superior performance than MI... okay, I know it still need to be improved but for now let's celebrate this step on GT4!
- Flat Out 2 -> Ok!
- Guitar Hero Aerosmith NTSC -> The resolution height was reduced by half (NB: All useful area is shown)
- Princess: Enchanted Journey NTSC -> The resolution height was reduced by half (NB: All useful area is shown)
- ICO -> Ok!
- FMCB -> Ok!
- uLE v4.39 -> Ok!
- LbFn v0.70.13 / LbFnc v0.70.13 -> Ok!
VGA 1280x448 @60Hz:
- GT4 NTSC -> Initial movie is not shown, but we can go ahead pressing [X] button. Default resolution seems to have worst quality than VGA 1280x896 @60, seem to using only half of framebuffer pixels, in another words, each visible line is double (maybe I call call this effect as "even field doubled", i.e., used twice, and doubled in heigth). When selecting built-in GT4 Video Output:
a) Normal(480i) - The same issues as stated above for the game menus
b) Progressive(480p) - Everything is ok at race!
c) HDTV(1080i) - The screen height is doubled, so it is possible to see only the half top part of screen
GT4 is a great game not only to play, but for GSM testing. Note that the issues stated on VGA 1280x448 @60Hz gives an idea what we need to handle in adaptation formulas to improve them.
I believe that some adjustments on MAGV based on DH and FFMD parameters could solve the issue on (c); and seems to me that the worst image quality on game menus racing on its defaul built-in Video Output mode (a), is not a real issue. I believe that proper vmode for GT4 is VGA 1280x448 @60Hz.
- Guitar Hero Aerosmith NTSC -> Freezes right after first loading screen
- Princess: Enchanted Journey NTSC -> Ok!
- ICO -> Ok!
VGA 1280x896 @60Hz & VGA 1280x448 @60Hz:
- God of War 2 NTSC: Right after start the game, freezes on intro movie (on its 2nd. scene)
- Burnout Revenge NTSC: Freezes on Loading Screen
Fantastic! Awesome! It has been a personal realisation for me, take part of this psx-scene project!!!
@dlanor, urbigbro and all others psx-sceners involved on GSM improvements in some way(input ideas, coding, testing, ...),
Great to see how GSM has been improved in few months...!
Good to know again that you can capture some good (but crazy and confusing) input ideas, plus my bugged source code, and be able to mix them with yours, mix and improve all this stuff into a superior, quality source code, giving better and faster results on the project (always in this order).
What I am supposed do to now?
Let's go ahead...!
BTW: If possible, I will update more test results on this post. Now it's time to play a little bit! ;-)
EDIT1: About VGA Cables and adaptors for SoG display devices -> Thanks again urbigbro!!! I've just picked up the urbigbro contribution update on post #413(http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/show...&postcount=413), that was updated by him yesterday, and made an update on my post #3 (http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/show...56&postcount=3).
Last edited by doctorxyz; 10-18-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Reason: uLE & LbFn results
doctorxyz's PS2 & PS3 stuff: (http://psx-scene.com/forums/f257/doctorxyzs-ps2-ps3-stuff-101348/)