The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Well they aren't the same at all (udk only let's you "save" it into a empty upk file) but surprisingly a lot of the stuff inside IS the same. The headers and stuff are totally different and the udk seems to save stuff in a different order, not to mention it saves stuff in these weird, padded to 48 bytes, chunks. But I searched for a byte string in the skeletalmesh file and I DID find it in the upk.
Originally Posted by futuretime23
So if somebody wants to help me with this so that it doesn't take up all of my time I *think* we may be able to do extremely limited mesh edits. But it would require more testing.
You could, let's just say, move around the vertices on subbies face (NOT EDIT OR DELETE) to form a mask and save/export that to psk. Now compare the two psk files (original and new) if we are lucky they use the same vertices format as the upk/skeletonmesh files. Take any differences, note them and then search for the original byte string in the .skeletalmesh and replace those bytes with the new ones in the psk file.
If that doesn't work I've just confirmed that the upk and skeletalmesh files use the same vertices format, so we could take it one step further and compare the upk files... one of an unaltered mesh and one of the exported one from max.
Again, SUPER simple changes... move this around, ect.... but it might actually be possible!
*edit* I just checked... the psk files are totally different, so that's a bust. Once imported and then saved via the udk that should fix them though. Ok now somebody with max needs to take a psk file generated by umodel (I'm working with the pc version of char_cyberzero) import it in 3dsmax and then using that plugin posted export it back to a psk without changing anything. Then I'll take it and convert it to a upk. If I can still find a string in all three then 3dsmax and the various conversions haven't re-arranged the format too much, then this theoretical stuff is probably possible.
Last edited by HowardC; 09-22-2013 at 03:07 AM.
hmm, the plot thickens.....
If I take the upk I saved and run it through extract.exe it does extract like a mk xxx file does. The skeletalmesh is significantly larger though and that weird padding I mentioned is still in place. Maybe the mk meshes are compressed/encypted in some way?
It's too late to mess with this anymore, but come to think of it I didn't import the textures and materials along with the mesh... that could be what's causing the file differences, I dunno.
Anyway it's something to try at a later time.
HowardC: I tried yesterday with 3ds max and udk, but model was always bigger SubZero_F has 2.4mb in .psk after edit and only thing i edit it was nose (for test), even when i connect head from SubZero to SubZero_F body psk has 2,8mb but it was enormous change
Originally Posted by wyruzzah
Max always adds garbage to a file so I wouldn't sweat the size difference all that much. I can confirm that the vertex values are more or less the same, at least at first glance, between a .upk (not .psk) and .skeletalmesh, but adding a head from another mesh would alter materials, textures, ect.... so we couldn't do it like that. So long as the array of vertex values are stored in the same order after 3dsmax saves it, that's all the matters. One click conversion isn't possible, but taking the 4 bytes or so in the array that are different and pasting them into the skeletal mesh might be.
Originally Posted by unclefestor
360 version skeletalmeshes seem to be the same as the pc,at least i think,as you can see em in umodel,ps3 however,we are screwed. they seem to have some form of extra compression that's really bizarre.
you want to take a look at a ps3 file and see for yourself? i'll send you one,just ask me which is the one you want.
btw,guys,i think i found some sort of fix for the mk2 babalities: there's strings that determine what mesh the baby will take,so in theory you could the script/anims from one and the mesh from another,problem is, since we can't create extra babalities,yet,it would end up overwriting the settings for one of the mk1 babies.(remember,i'm using mk1 babies all this time).
also,i was doing the mk2 mileena mod yesterday,and i found a funny little quirk,using mileena_d(mk3) as a base and then doing fatality 1 causes mileena's head to magically transform into mileena_d's head when she removes her veil. i'm not kidding.
strangely,though,mileena_e didn't cause that,in fact,nothing happened when her veil came down(as opposed to mileena_d). mileena_d loads mileena_d_fatality1 while mileena_e uses mileena_fatality1.
really bizarre stuff.
Double Barrel Shotgun>AK47.
When i try save unedited SubZero_F to .fbx (for UDK) Warnings and errors pop up (Texture file not found (156), Geometry conversion (146) ) but when i saved as .ASE (for UDK too) no errors on export but cannot import to UDK, some errors about geometry and materials..
Just export unedited mesh from 3DSMax as a .psk so that
can convert it to the proper format and look @ it. You're missing some steps to do what you're trying to do @ the moment. It'll be much easier to just let
verify that the process will work 1st.
We don't want either... You want to save as a psk file... the same type of file you loaded. You may need to download the previously mentioned plugin to do that.
The psk can be opened via the UDK as well.
once in the UDK, save as a .upk package (achieved via using "save", not any of the export functions)