Man I'm wore out today. Not cut out for manual labor.
Anyway, is anyone interested in a mod to allow alt costumes for the 4 dlc characters? I was thinking about it this evening. They are just tacked onto the game and unlike the other characters they don't have a presence in the challenge ladder or story mode. Their only tie to the game is the necropolis and once you decompress that bgnd package it's quite easy to modify their entries.
Since I'm too tired to work on Kintaro's ending anyway, I thought I would experiment with it a little.
I took CHAR_Rain, and ran him through the renamer to convert him to "CHAR_RA" and his ui package as well. I also ended up having to make a vo_announcer_ra as well, but since I could just copy rain's and run it through the renamer it was simple enough. Btw... if you want to disable Kahn's laugh on the dlcs... make them a vo_announcer package and do NOT rename any of the strings within... it'll be silent when you select. Also in the mk9game.ini I took all of rain's references and changed them to ra, ensuring that he'd show up in the exact same place and getting rid of the real rain.
Ok now I removed CHAR_Rain.xxx from the asset folder just to see what it'd break. Obviously his name in the player select and ladder shows up as "BUG ME" but that's easy to fix. Ladder works fine, his stats are also saved to rain's since I didn't rename his base name internally. Also I hadn't beaten the game with him, so I did, and sure enough it unlocked "view ending" in the necropolis, because that's also considered a stat. (This is why I tell you guys when making a new character to change the base name.) Everything else in the necropolis is screwed up. Obviously I can't view the character and bio as it looks for "CHAR_Rain" and attempting to view the ending crashes the game as well.
This confirms my suspicions about the endings and it's really stupid. When the game plays an ending, be it at ladder mode or in the necropolis, it loads the char_ file and gets the names of the files it needs to load from there? Even though the necropolis's scripts allow you to specify the ending name?
Also as no surprise, he doesn't have a bio entry when viewed via the playerselect trick. Again though, that one is easily fixable.
With all that being said, if you keep the original Char_Rain in the asset folder along with the new guy, the necropolis works without modification. This would probably be the best method. The only downside is that theoretically you might face rain twice on the ladder. I don't think this will happen though. Apparently any character with a external ui file won't show up on the ladder without a entry in the mk9game.ini. Now if it's just the char file alone that's another story.
Anyway, enough rambling, I just wanted to give some insight as to what it takes to rename a true dlc character.
I think the best approach to such a mod is to leave the old packages and ini files in place and to make two ini files to the dlc manager. The first would go into the "installed" folder and would contain all the mk9game.ini entries for the dlc characters. You would "uninstall" them first. The next ini file would contain the entries for the modified dlcs, except instead of using the addid feature we specify the exact content ids making them show up in the same place.
Looks like Rain and Skarlet can finally get Retro outfits! :D
Nothing's ever easy is it. After enough tests I finally got the old rain to show up in a ladder match, only his ladder images didn't show up. "Uh oh" I thought, and sure enough when I got to him, the game crashed. Maybe I can just add a "IsDLC" entry for him but no content id or unlocked entry and fix it?
Why do these things always end up being more work than they are worth? I added regular rain a "IsDLC" entry and absolutely nothing else. I must have started 50 ladder matches, he never showed up once. Now the new rain did (I left his name "bug me" so I could tell the diff) but we want him to.
This is either:
a. A good thing! That means a dlc character added without an ID will never show up in the roster.
b. A bad thing! I can't get the dang fool idgit to show up and thus I can't test him.
For the time being I'm going with a. ;)
But anyway, this is interesting. I wonder if we could do the same for the bosses? Leave them as-is and then remove their content id numbers. We could then use the ban list in the exe for the newly shortened boss names and give them dlc costumes as well!
My apologies bud, I've been out of town at a convention (still am) I'll try them as soon as I get in unless digital, future or LilGrim beat me to it and report back.
Originally Posted by unclefestor
It's great that you take the time to convert them for us
You should put the Venom spider on the Cyber Smoke dude...would look great...and the Carnage one does look a whole lot like the one I did, still looks great (pics on front page of mine I think...was done a while back)
Originally Posted by ranckel
Well I tried a few more dozen times... still can't get the old rain to show up. I don't know if you guys are catching on, but assuming this trick works on the other characters, this is HUGE.
We can block any character from the roster by making them a ui file and adding a "IsDLC" entry and nothing else to the mk9game.ini. What this means is we can shorten a character's name and yet leave the original character in place. So the convoluted mess for fixing the roster suddenly becomes a lot less convoluted. Alt costumes are possible for the bosses, ect.