Cobra 3.55 cfw installation
1. Download the PS3UPDAT.PUP file of the cobra CFW. The MD5 of this file is
2. Copy this file to any usb drive, in /PS3/UPDATE/ folder (create the folders if they don’t exist),
and connect it to the PS3.
3. If you are on a firmware prior to 3.55, including cfw, install the update using the XMB,
remember to choose “Update via Storage Media”. Follow any instructions, and skip the next
4. If you are on firmware 3.55, ofw or cfw, in some consoles you will be able to update using the
XMB. In other consoles, you will be given an error complaining that latest firmware is already
installed. On those consoles, you will have to install cobra cfw in recovery mode. Next steps
explain how to enter this mode.
5. To enter recovery mode, power off the PS3. Keep the usb drive with the cfw pup as the only
device connected to the PS3.
6. Power on the PS3 keeping the power button pressed until the PS3 powers off.
7. Power on again the PS3 keeping the power button, until you hear one beep followed by a
8. You are now in recovery mode, connect a PS3 controller to any USB port, choose option 6 in the
screen, and follow any other on screen instructions.
Note: Cobra CFW will behave like a 3.55 ofw if the PS3 is booted without Cobra USB connected. It is
useless to install this CFW if you don’t have a Cobra USB device.
Cobra USB requires certain binary files of the firmware not to be changed. Changing these files may
make Cobra USB not to work at all, or to behave incorrectly. Changing fonts, xml, etc is fine, if the user
knows what he is doing.
Advice: if you want to update the system again to install other firmware, we recommend to do it
booting the PS3 without Cobra USB connected. It will probably work with Cobra USB connected too,
but it is safer to update without Cobra patches present.