The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Where Do I Start? –
I want to run homebrew games on my PS3.
I have 2 USB's and even a 1TB External HD
Can someone give me a link to a tutorial or point me in the right direction
Dont want to do any modding, just run some games like NFS offline
You have to "mod" your ps3 to play games from backups. No gaming system can play backups without some sort of "mod" being installed. That being said, the ps3 "mod" is a soft mod, no soldering and no hardware modifications, just software.
You'll want to start off by downloading and flashing to OFW 3.55. If your on 3.56 already stop here, since you have to wait for newer custom firmware.
Next, once your on 3.55, download and flash to kmeaw's cfw 3.55. A guide is below...
Once your on 3.55 kmeaw, you'll have an option to install pkg files. Now you can download and install homebrew applications such as boot managers and emulators. From the sounds of it, the first download you will want is MultiMan. It's the most compatible of all the boot managers. There's a download link in the thread linked below, download it to your usb and click install package files on the xmb to install...
After thats installed, make sure your external hard drive is formatted to FAT32, and simply store your games in [hard drive]:\GAMES\[gameid] and the boot manager will see them and let you select them. Make sure you have a blu ray game in the drive, click the game of your choice, and select no to direct boot. It will back you out to the xmb. If you select the disc in your ps3 now, it will play the game you picked in multiman.
So I HAVE to have a Blu-Ray Disk In The Drive?
Without one you'll lose something like 75% of compatibility with games, so it's highly recommended. Just buy a cheapo at gamestop for $10, the game itself doesn't matter.
Originally Posted by connor2hd
blazie has everything correct for you. i just got into the ps3 mod scene and these are the exact steps i took for success. if you ask me the ps3 is the simplest thing i have ever modded.
multiman is your friend. the most difficult part of the process was figuring out which backup manager was the best. multiman beats all. and Kmeaw CFW beats all other as well.
100% correct, and thank you...
Originally Posted by Freddy Savage
MultiMan beats all the other boot managers for a few reasons;
1. The dev, deanrr, is dedicated. Most important feature to me. A man that cares about his work does a better job.
2. It's compatible with more games than any other boot manager because the code he's using isn't just a default lvl2 patch.
3. It's updated CONSTANTLY. To the point of annoyance, lol.
4. It's got more features than any other boot manager, by far. Custom themes, cover downloads, ftp, etc.
Kmeaw's cfw beat the competition for a few too;
1. No hard coded payload. What this means is that the end dev can change or modify the payload without you having to flash new firmware on your ps3 every time there's a minor change.
2. Minimal patching written to the nand. This is simply safer. Whenever your modifying anything that's required for a system to boot, less is better. This CFW allows the program to add functions, syscalls, payloads, etc. to runtime memory instead of trying to write them to nand. If something goes horribly wrong, your system crashes and reboots, instead of morphing into a VERY expensive paperweight. It's also why #1 above exists.
3. Supported by all devs. It's the most popular and most versitile right now.
4. Signed software not required. This doesn't mean anything really special to me, since I know how to sign the pkg files easily if needed. But it does allow me to skip a step if a dev decides they don't want to sign it. For noobs it means one less question to ask, and one less migraine to drink away alone at night, while staring angrily at your ps3 showing an error message.
So there, not only do you have all your answers, you now have enough knowledge to know why your installing this on your system. And knowing is half the power, lmfao.
man you type a LOT..blaize...:P
I'm bored at work with too much free time on my hands, and I type about 100wpm, so I get around.
Originally Posted by perspex
Ok ill go find a cheap disk. A few more questions tho.
Will I still get Trophies when I play the games and will i be able to play online?
Yes and yes, though the second is a little trickier...
Originally Posted by connor2hd
Currently, you have to do the dns trick to get online. That's because the gaming server wants you on 3.56, but you have to be on 3.55 to jailbreak. The dns trick fools the server into letting you on even though your on 3.55. Also, we have absolutely no idea what $ony is going to do about jailbreaking, it's just too new... That being said, no true stealth method has been established, and as long as you jailbreak you have to assume the risk of a ban.