The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Strange LA6508 (V9) issue- no red laser light after full repair
Strange LA6508 (V9) issue- no red laser light after full repair –
I have many ps2's for repair, and this one I have a V9 with Messiah 2 without Romeo mod. So a known issue what to do next.
Tested dvd's and saw the red laser point moving slowly from inner circel to the outher circle of the DVD. Same for CD's. Laser produced light.
Then checked the coils of the laserunit, and one of them was at 1.8 Ohm, so needed to replace the C-laser and LA-chip.
Installed the Romeo mod first on the old LA-chip, but then the laser did not produce any light any more, and the dvd/cd would not spin anymore as a result of that.
Think that was strange, never seen that before.
I replaced the LA chip with an original Sony one and installed Romeo mod (lifted 12V leg, and connected it to 5V point).
Checked every point of the LA chip under microscope and with multimeter, and everything seemed to be ok.
Then I need to turn it on, to eject in order to replace the laserunit.
First I checked, but laser still did not produce light. The lens moved down only and kept in that position.
Then I replace the defective C laser, by a new one with antistatic solder removed.
When I turned it on, still no laser light was produced. The lens moved down only and kept in that position.
I checked all the fuses, which were ok.
I checked all the solder points of the Messiah 2, also ok.
I must tell that the Messiah 2 chip is located at the right sight of the motherboard. Everything connected with long wires.
Does somebody has a hint for me, because I do not know what to do anymore.
So please help, I will appreciate it very much.
Did you try running the LA at 12V just for the hell of it.
This may sound funny but does the fan come on?
Test the 5v romeo supply line, regulator might have been damaged from bad LA.
I will test that this evening.
Summarized, what happened:
1) Got a ps2 with defective LA + defective laserunit.
Laserlight was working
2) Installed Romeo mod on defective LA + defective laserunit
Laserlight was not working anymore
3) Installed new LA + new C laser + Romeo mod.
Laserlight still not working
1) Check if the fan is running
2) Measure the 5V point.
3) Measure the alternative 5V points
4) Connect LA back to 12V, to see if that works.
Relaxxx, thanks for your help. I keep this topic posted asap.
I did found the real problem.
What I did was:
1) Installed the ps2 in such a way that I could measure the Romeo mod voltage point, and measured 5.2 Volt
2) When I turned it on, I say light !!! coming from the laser.
Hmm, problem has gone ????
3) Then I installed the metal shield over the mobo, with all screws and turned it on again, and did not saw light from the laser. Hmmm. Maybe shorts when the modchip wires pressed to the bottom ????
4) Deinstalled metal shield, and light again
5) Measure all the wires of the modchip, and all seem to be ok.
6) Manually pressed all the wires to the mobo, but no problem.
7) Installed the metal shield with only the 4 screws of the cooling, and the problem appeared again. Has to be a short.
8) Removed the + and - wires of the Massiah 2 pro modchip, but did not make a different. I saw that 6 wires went through a tiny hole
9) Removed the modchip, and the problem was gone
Now the C laser produced light, but did not behave as exepted.
Maybe because of the shorts, somewhere in the modchip wires, caused the death of the C laser
10) Installed new C laser, and the ps2 was working again !!!!
gd to hear it
you must have shorted the mod chip or sommin :S