Brother, I fear you've just received the short end of the stick... and you know where.
1) You can find supplliers for the silver case, but why should you have to? Take it back to him. He's responsible, not you.
2) NO! The chip (if it truly is a Messiah2) should play all PS2 games, both originals and copies, and ALL PS1 games (and not compressed). Methinks you didn't get an real M2.
3) Shrek2 and Syphon Filter both work on my v10, and every v10 I've modded to date... and that's with about 5 different types of chips. They won't work on older versions of the Magic and Apple chips, but do on all new chips. ALL of them.
4) Yeah... as if the color of the case makes any board harder to mod. Absolutly not.
5) This is called, charging what the market will bear. Apparently the market in AUS will bear $190. I don't think it's too much, if it isn't too much to you. Having said that, you might have been able to save a few bucks, but not enough to really fret over.
Bro, I'd be heading back to the installer, and plug that badboy in... show him your issues. And don't leave until you either have a favourable resolution, or your money back. Oh yeah... and this "hours and hours and is a pain" shit... let me just say, WHATEVER! Installers like that give us all a bad name.
MSN Messenger: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oshawa modder... up there in Canada.