I live in the Netherlands, and the following is legal:
Make a backup of your original audio CD, movie DVD, PS2 game for own purpose is legal. Selling copies is illegal.
Almost all CD players, DVD player do play backups !
But the Sony ps2 does not ! (only DVD movie backups)
Sony ps2's also does not play imports.
So Sony has built in an extra protection to:
- avoid people to play their backups
- avoid people to play imports
So from my point of view, you have the law, permitting me to make backups for own purpose, only when I also own the original.
And we have the Sony law, not able to play backups and imports.
We have 2 different kind of chips:
- programmed chips, which enables us to play backups
- empty chips, the so-called homebrew chips, to upgrade to whatever we can/want
In The Netherlands where I live, it seems to be illegal to install/sell modchips, but still a lot of stores are advertising openly with selling/installing modchips.
I have the following questions for you all:
1) Is installing/selling modchips in your country LEGAL or ILLEGAL ?
2) Based on what arguments have the judges decided to make it LEGAL or ILLEGAL ?
3) Is there a difference from the law point of view, in installing/selling programmed modchip or homebrew modchips ?
UK -> illegal
The Netherlands -> illegal
Australia -> illegal
Italy -> legal
Spain -> legal
China -> what's illegal ;-)