I've honestly been using my psp as my mobile mp3 player since I got one and was hoping to continue this with the vita. However looking into it, you cannot connect your vita to your pc without a sony specific software suite. Its limiting in a variety of ways including file type association and hacking the system should hopefully allow for us to simply view all the files in windows explorer.
Why did we jailbreak our PS3's oh wait :)
Everyone hacks any console because of homebrews and games, thats what i think at least.
there are a few games that have been expressed that will never be on the psn ever (crisis core/kingdom hearts birth by sleep). id like to play these games on my vita because the vitas graphics are much better and give much more color depth and such, plus the ability to use two analogue sticks on certain games will be so kickass
Exactly my thoughts. Hacking the Vita would allow me to get rid of my PSP, also I want to hack so I can play every PS3 game with remote play. Not jus tthe select 5-6 games they have now.
Originally Posted by soraofhearts
Only problem I see right now is the cost, a 32gb memory card for the Vita is like $99 and that is a rip off, I can get a fast MicroSD for around $40. I cant see myself paying that much for a memory card. SO 8gb is tops for me....
OP seems to think Hack = Fail. That's simply not the case and never been the case for any system. Did hacking kill 360? Did hacking kill Wii? I've never bought an unhackable system. Hardware that is locked in slavery to only execute commands from one fascist corporation is a crime against technology and development. That's an automatic fail as far as I'm concerned.
While many hack for free games that is far from the truth of it. I'll point out first that 90% or more of the people that respond with that answer have never contributed more than a walkthrough guide or something like that to the scene and are most certainly not devs. so on to point two.
Those that have the ability often do so for a few different reasons.
1. bragging rights. Why shouldnt you be able to brag about what you did when no one else could?
2. to remove or change irritating features that otherwise would just have to be dealt with.
3. remove the software restrictions from the device to allow them to run there own code on it. Paid for it why shouldn't we?
4. to piss someone off. If you wanna piss off a console company like sony what better way than to release a hack for there shit?
5. Well frankly I feel the previously mentioned reasons are enough I guess here I'd say for the sake of playing all our old school titles on the go.
6. Now I'm getting bored so I may as well mention that as another reason to hack.
7. more customization of the software from themes to boot screens to whatever. Makes it feel more personal.
8. Do We really need more reasons? well how about for a more powerful media player? I love showtime and it's plugins.
9. For the sake of learning.
10. While this reason isn't the reason that all devs do hack as so many seem to believe it is still a reason for some! Free Games. (Like I said only SOME!)
anyone who still believes that hacking is all about piracy and theft needs to go blow it out there a** and re read the first 9! 9! other very good reasons for doing so!
Well @Mike there is no justifications 90% of people hacked their consoles for piracy that's all there is to it.
But for now I dont want the vita getting hacked anytime soon because that would kill the hand-held the vita have a bright future ahead of it I don't want hackers f-u-c-king it up. If they want to crack it to play old ass psp games and old as games then sure I dont give a damn about that but I dont want it playing cracked vita games.
Thats why the psp died because of the piracy and Sony couldn't control it. Which is why I am happy that the ps3 scene is where it is right now and Sony took control of the piracy.
Someone mentioned a lack of good games- I disagree. It's a subjective opinion, but Rayman Origins and Gravity Rush are extremely fun, whip-it-out-of-your-bag-and-play-on-the-bus games. Plus, Hatsune Miku Project Diva's coming soon, with many more to follow.
I feel it's going to get quite a good number of titles. The dev kit's are a fraction of the cost of the Xbox 3's or PS3's for that matter, and it's hardware is capable.
But why hack it? To exploit, pillage and plunder!
I would find it fun to load some custom themes and other things. Maybe someone will be my hero and make an XMB for it!