The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
on IRC they said hopefully in a few days
Originally Posted by iooz
Phat Guys –
I have managed to get this to work on my EUR phat.
I could not get it to work on recovery or xmb. I instead used the downgrade method. instead of using a PUP for the 3.15 or 3.41 i used the rebug pup and it working. not managed to test it but i get the debug menu without the need of my teensy with the pay load.
I followed this:
(copy and paste from pvhax) All credit to the-don.
Here is a tutorial on how to downgrade with PSGrade. Numurous members have requested this recently, so I decided that seen as though I successfully completed a PSGrade downgrade numerous times I would create a tutorial. I tried to make this as 'noob friendly' as possible, but if there is anything you need clarifying, just ask
What you need
A PSGroovy supported development board
Atmel Flip (3.4.1 or 3.4.0 will do)
A USB Flash Drive
A hex compiled for your dev board. You can download a variety of downgrade hexes for all development boards from here: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
The lvl2diag.self files and the modified 3.41 pup file, which you can download from here: [Only Registered Users Can See LinksClick Here To Register]
This is how I perform a PSGrade downgrade with my USBTinyMKII device. Whenever I reference to the USBTinyMKII, just replace the words with your board instead. The instructions are the same.
First of all we start on your computer
1. Set up your Development board to work with Atmel Flip. Depending on the board you may require drivers to do this
2. Choose your device from the device menu (For USBTinyMKII this is the AT90USB162)
3. Open up a USB connection to the device by clicking Ctrl+U or the Usb icon
4. Click Ctrl+L, or load, and select the appropriate PSGrade hex for your board (Links to compiled hexes above under the what you need heading)
5. Make sure the Erase, Program and Verify boxes are checked, and then click run or Ctrl+R. You can now remove the Development Board
6. Now insert a FAT 32 formatted USB Flash Drive into your computer. Most Flash Drives will be FAT 32 formatted by default (if yours is go to step 7), but for those that are not you can check the formatting and reformat them by right clicking the USB drive and click Format >> FAT 32 and start.
7. Once your USB Flash Drive is FAT 32 formatted, add the lvl2diag.self file from the FILE 1 directory and the modified PUP to your device. You can now remove the Flash Drive. Do not insert it until I say.
Now to the PS3
8. Unplug the power (PS3 Slim), or flick the power switch off (PS3 Phat), and insert your Development board into the right USB slot (The one closest to the Disc slot).
9. Plug the Power back in, or flick the power switch on, and do the normal PSJailbreak style turn on (Hit the Standby button, then quickly hit eject).
10. If done correctly, your confirmation light (For the USBTinyMKII a green LED light) will turn on. Leave the PS3 running. Now, here is where the PS3 may do one of two things. I'm not entirely sure what causes the differing of actions. It will either have a black screen for an indefinite time, or it will load the XMB in Service mode. Give it roughly 2 minutes before you move on if you have a black screen
11. Power off the PS3 (In the standard way, either hold down the standby button for a few seconds, or if you are on the XMB hold the PSButton and select Turn off the console), then remove your jailbreak device. In the same USB port the development board came from, insert your USB device.
12. Turn your PS3 back on. On my PS3 I am greeted by a loud noise, but on other PS3's this may not happen. The HDD icon should also flash. This process will take a few minutes, and does not need stopping as once it is finished the PS3's power light will blink and the power will automatically turn off. Once this happens remove the Flash Drive
13. You've done it! Your PS3 is downgraded. If you can, you can now turn the PS3 on, and although it is in service mode you can check if the firmware has successfully downgraded (Settings >> System Settings >> System Information). If you can't see the XMB still, or you have been able to confirm the downgrade, power off normally and advance to the next step. We need to get the PS3 out of service mode (unless you are a Dev that wants to experiment, as now it is confirmed that Service mode is Jailbreakable)
Back to the Computer now, for the final time
14. Insert you USB back into your computer, and open it in windows explorer. You will now see 3 files opposed to the 2 you had earlier. The new one is a log of the downgrades progress. Delete all of these files, and copy the lvl2diag.self file from the FILE 2 folder onto your Flash Drive, and remove it again
Back to the PS3, for the final time
15. Insert the Flash Drive back into the right (closest to the Disc Drive) USB slot, and start the power up as per normal. Your PS3 after a short while should load up as if it is out of the box new, and you will be required to do the initial set up stages again. Congratulations, your PS3 is now completely downgraded!
You can now downgrade to 3.15 to enable OtherOS, but make sure you downgrade to 3.41 first, or the 3.15 may not be jailbreakable!
If you downgrade to a firmware and decide you no longer want it, but you still want a jailbreakable firmware, using the exact same method as above you can use PSGrade to upgrade back to 3.41
And that's it! Anything you want further explanation of just ask, but I tried to make the guide as 'noob friendly' as possible. Happy Downgrading!
I take no responsibity if your PS3 screws up but mines is fine so yours sshould be ok.
good stuff man, Would give it a test but havent got an atmel, Look forward to seeing if other people have success this way, May end up the only way to get it on the launch model, Hope not though
WARNING: if you have a fat ps3 plz know what was the last Blu-ray movie you played as it is possible that after the downgrade your drive will stop reading and playing Orginal Blu-ray movies. SO I warn everyone that will be downgrade plz make sure you know the last Blu-ray movie you played. I myself will not ever again downgrade as I was without bluray moive playback for 3 weeks got it fixed now but what a misson. . .
Originally Posted by bigalscot
You don't need atmel, i have a Teensy 2++ there is a psgrade payload for most devices.
Originally Posted by JB=WorkingBrick
I'll pm you the lv2 files.
A question of curiousity....will downgrading to the Rebug pup still cause the Blu-ray issue on the phats?
Originally Posted by bigalscot
My BD is bust anyway so i have no way of checking that. I was aware there were some issue with this but we are not actually downgrading here although it might be the LV2 file that causes that problem. Like dentnu says be carefull. it may be easier waiting on a fixed pup.
Originally Posted by dentnu
I'd much rather have faster USB support
Originally Posted by JB=WorkingBrick
CECHA01 (500GB Cobra 7/ REBUG REX 4.46 XMBM+, multiMAN/webMAN XMB, Showtime,)
I have one of those "idiotic" questions... If my PS3 is already with 4.31 and i can jailbreak, run homebrew, backup & run my own games (except for my mw2), what would I gain by upgrading to this debug version?
I know this allows more debugging options and all, but for a common user like myself, what does that serve me for?
I'm just trying to decide whether or not to upgrade, but first I need to know what this does
btw, great work guys, keep it up
It enables the Debug functions used by developers to test out software, so for most people it will not be useful. If you are happy with what you have, I would hold off for now.
Originally Posted by lobomau
Here is the link to see what is available on Debug version:
Last edited by SD5150; 01-06-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Reason: Added Rebug link