Doesnt work for Rebug.
Been away a while, new responsibilities at work are devouring all my time. Just tried prboom, stella, and dosbox. To my dismay, none will run on 3.15 mfw, neither the "cfw" pkgs nor the "dongle" pkgs. Prboom cycles back to xmb (yes, I have working wads in the path). Stella and dosbox error out. Guess I have to try to figure out what sdk etc these use or try to unpack/repack or compile my own. Just thought I'd post a heads up and see if anyone has these running on lower firmware.
Has anyone figured out the issue with getting this to run on Kmeaw 3.55? I've tried to get it running without any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Edit) Nevermind, I guess I used the wrong WAD file. Downloaded another batch of WADs and made sure the file names were lowercase (doom.wad & doom2.wad) now everything works. BTW the Doom WAD file I used that is working is 11 MB, the first one that I downloaded was 4 MB and didn't work.
Hi there Robo,
I tested out prBoom. Here are some impressions.
1) The sound effects seem to have a totally wrong pitch. All of the monsters sound like high-pitched girlie demons basically - for lack of a better word (:). I tried both Doom 1 and Doom 2 WADs - made no difference whatsoever. This is definitely one of the very first things that should be looked at.
2) Question - is SDL using software renderer always? When I select 'OpenGL' in the Settings menu - does it actually use a GL renderer or is it still the software renderer?
3) Are there any technical limitations that cause the screen size to be as small as it is?
4) Since SDcell seems to be using PS3 SDK - you could use FBO perhaps in the future (similar to what I did with SNES9x PS3/Genesis Plus) and even give the user the option of applying shaders to front and back buffers. This will definitely give the game a much-needed graphical boost - just use the runtime Cg compiler for the shaders.
5) What is causing all these pauses while walking through the level? It's like it's 'loading in' parts of the map? Are these SDL-PS3 specific performance issues or something? Because I've never actually seen a console or handheld port of Doom before where there were pauses while running through the map - I think we can even go back to low-fare like the PS2 and find this not to be the case - all Xbox 1 ports of Doom definitely never had pauses like this. This sticks out like a sore thumb.
2) There's no OpenGL support in sdcell. OpenGL ES doesn't satisfy the requirements for SDL 1.2.14 or most of the apps written for it. The video path puts the buffer of the SDL screen surface as a VBO which is used as a texture reference when blitting to the screen.
3) No. By default there is a 10% underscan applied. It's in the readme, but above the NumLock and Divide keypad key are two hidden buttons that change the underscan and pillar boxing settings. I just haven't gotten around to busting out inkscape and adding them to the image.
4) I've been considering this already. It seems like it would be possible to add directly to sdcell and make it available to all the apps that use it.
5) I don't know what is up with this. stdio performance has been terrible on the PS3 SDK, but works fine in PSL1GHT. I noticed it in mednafen when I backported it, and every other app I've written gets poor speed when using the filesystem. Later on I'll try changing to use libfs and see if that changes anything.