What does Homebrew mean?
Just found your site recently and I must say it's great, I wish you all the best with it.
I'm fairly new to the whole mod scene, I've had my PS2 a year and have had a Playstation before that, but never got them modded.
I currently am thinking about getting my PS2 modded *soley* to run MAME on it, and I have a few questions:
1) What does Homebrew mean?
2) Do I need a modchip to play MAME on the PS2?
Thanks guys, hopefully some of you will help me out. :)
you would need a modchip to run PS2Mame...
i gots the Stealth4 chip but would recommend the new magic 2 or messiah as the stealth4 non solder chip only plays 74min cd's and games which exceed that size - you can't play!!
but he said he only wanted to play PS2MAME with the mod-chip, and since you can 'set' the max size yourself (by adding or removing roms) the -way- cheaper stealth4 chip is better...
but in case you want to chip your ps2 once and good, you'll need to get a magic2 or messiah (both no-swap)
I will look into the Stealth 4, I'd preferably want a Messiah but have never soldered before, so maybe the stealth 4 is the way to go (I can live with just originals and MAME I guess).
BTW what does Homebrew mean? (it's got me curious) ;)
Ah ... thanks for that.
BTW I checked Lik Sang for the Stealth 4 modchip and they don't have it.
Does it go by any other names?
Also, I've heard Neo chips really screw up your laser by the way they "fool" the PS2 into playing backups etc etc, does this Stealth chip have the same problems?
every chip has that problem... it has nothing to do with the chip (basically), it's just the CD-r's that screw up the laser...
btw, No-Solder mod is what you need to look for...
-> v4 -> http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=1808&
-> v5/v6 -> http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=1772&
Really? CD-R's are to blame eh?
FlyingDutchman can you expound upon that?
1) Do only some brands of CD-R's deteriorate the laser?
2) Do ALL brands of CD-R's deterioriate the laser?
3) What about CD-RW's?
4) What about DVD-R's?
Thanks man. :D
1. CDRW's do not work in the PS2
2. Every CD-R will screw the laser, but better cd's (and the better the burner, don't forget that!!!) don't screw the laser much really, if you have the right media and a good burner, the laser's life won't be really much shorter than with normal use...
3. I've never used DVD-R's, but they seem to be better than CD-R's (i dunno why really)
4. The worst thing for your laser is DVDRips (on CDR), they'll screw it.
Oh man that's a bummer Dutchman. :(
So what about this MAME stuff now, I know the guide here at PS2NewZ says to put it on CD, but can you put it on DVD instead so as not to stuff your laser?
Pity the PS2's HDD never came out. :(
WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?????????
cd-r's stuff the laser? exactly how do they do this and how long does the damage take to occur? months? years? how does a medium thats doesnt actually do anything cept reflect affect something else?