The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
don't mean to beat a dead horse but...
don't mean to beat a dead horse but... –
I love this homebrew stuff. I've been playing around for a couple weeks now and I've learned ALOT about my PS2. However, for some reason i cannot get ANYTHING to work in reguards to getting my genesis roms onto the hdd. Here's a list of what I've tried:
1. ExecFTP - worked once, but every other time corrupted my whole partition so I quit tryin
2. Tried 2 versions of LaunchELF including the latest and tried to use USB jump drive to transfer into +ROMS partition and it sees the roms on my USB drive but won't copy them (paste failed!)
3. Used Keylauncher v0.5 and that works the best but the file names are too long on some of the roms and anything that doesn't fit on the transfer screen won't transfer. I don't want to shorten the file names 'cause there's a couple hundred roms!
4. Used external hard drive to store the roms (20 gig in enclosure) and pgen doesn't even see the roms on that no matter how it's formatted (fat32, ntsc, winhiip, hdloader, usbextreme, etc.) although keylauncher sees it and can copy from it just fine...but like I said the filename length restriction limits it to only a couple games.
5. I could go on but you get the point.
I'm not one usually to ask for help and I've been researching this for quite some time and tried many different things but still to no avail. This has become a serious challenge for me and my wife is about to kill me because I'm refusing to let it go....I just want my Genesis roms on my +ROMS partition. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
- create the partition with DMS HDD Utility (maybe you already did?)
- Execftps should work if you mounted (before copying) and unmounted (after copying and before disconnecting) the partition correctly in your ftp client. If you did that but it was still screwing you up, are you sure you're using 0.69? A lot of bugs were fixed from 0.68 and I never hear any complaints anymore since 0.69
- Don't know why Launchelf didnt work either... hmm...
Here's a sure-fire way if you're willing to burn a CD or two. Burn your ROMS onto CD(s) as MODE2/XA type, and make sure all ROMS are in the root with NO folders. Then use the DMS HDD Dump utility to copy them to HDD. This is how I did it originally, before all the other options were available. I'm still playing them. However if you don't have a mod, i'm not sure you'd be able to dump from a CDR. In that case you'd have to create it as a UMCDR (something i've never done myself)
You can even run PGEN from HDLoader if you want to take it a step further. It burns 128MB on your HDD but personally I like PGEN being right there on HDL with the other games.
Last edited by Phreaker47; 06-07-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Thanks for the response. I did mount the partition correctly but i think I tried to tranfer too many roms in one sitting. i would transfer roms about 30 at a time but like I said I have alot of roms. It might be that my partition was too big. I used DMS HDD Format to create several different partitions ranging from 512 to 1024 in 128M steps but everytime I tried they would get corrupted by Execftp and I'd have to "remove" the partition with HDD Format. At least I think they were corrupt....The roms were there but it kept saying "failed to load rom" Anyway, eventually Execftp would eventually either freeze up or disconnect and I guess that's why the files went south. I do want to check into that UMCDR wich I'm assuming you use cdgen for. I'll probably try that out before I call it quits....gotta quit sometime or I'll have to file divorce papers ! One more thing that puzzles me is that Pgen can read the same roms fine off my 128M jump drive but then I can only fit 128M of roms on it and I don't want to spend any more money on this project as I have now spent alot of money on the hdd and usb enclosures and soforth.
Do you have a mod chip? You never said.
No I don't have a mod chip so i guess that limits things a bit for me.
I find it alot more comfortable to use launchELF with memory stick than using ExecFTPs.
Yeah I guess I'll have to break down and buy a usb device that is 100% compatable with LaunchELF. I still wonder why Keylauncher has no problems copying from it as well as my Codemaster software and Pgen can even read the roms on the drive but LaunchELF just won't copy them. It sees them but that's it. I even tried hooking my old 10 gig hdd into my usb enclosure and formatted it to FAT32 and once again it sees the roms but wont copy them. Strange indeed.
Just upgrade to LaunchELF latest official,
I had the same problem as you describe with 3.4 and earlier.
I'm using 3.41b now.
Am i using the right one? This is the second verison that I've tried but wouldn't that be funny if it was just the wrong version?!?! Man, all that time, lol!
I'm not exactly sure what happened but for some reason it works now...I just reinstalled my exploit because I wanted launchelf to be the boot app and now it works. Maybe because I was booting launchelf from keylauncher that might have been causing a conflict of some sort. Well I am an EXTREMELY happy man!! My wife will probably have a sigh of relief too. Thanks for all your help.