How to keep full Internet access while blocking Sony to avoid getting banned.
--- UPDATE 1- updated with better (but slightly more risky) blocklist to allow ps3 game updates via Multiman.
--- UPDATE 2 - added OpenDNS list - UNTESTED!
This guide will let you keep full Internet access (except PSN, of course) on your PS3 without letting Sony collect any data. Note that you must have a router that supports DD-WRT (UPDATE - or be willing to use OpenDNS) for this to work.
1. Install dd-wrt (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router) on your router if you haven't already. This is fairly complicated so you will have to follow the instructions on the dd-wrt site.
2. be sure you set your PS3 DNS server to your router's IP address (usually 192.168.0.1) and not your ISP's
3. Log into your router and click on Services and then scroll down to dnsmasq
4. be sure both dnsmasq and local dns are enabled.
5. add the following lines and then apply/save your settings
6. click on the setup tab and be sure the following items are checked: use dnsmasq for dhcp, use dnsmasq for dns, and dhcp-authoritative.
7. turn off your ps3 and turn it back on.
8. to test it go to online manuals on your ps3 and if you get an error then it is working
9. have fun
UPDATE - if you want to keep PSN game updates working you can try using this list instead. Note that using this list is slightly more risky as I might not have gotten all of the servers they use but they do send the data they collect to *.np.community.playstation.net so blocking that and the auth server should do it. Still, you might wish to restore default settings (not reformat, just reset/restore the settings) to clear out your PSN login info if you use this method.
--- DD-WRT List
-- OpenDNS List