The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Upgrading to CFW-based solution
Upgrading to CFW-based solution –
I have been using a dongle-based (Sansa e200) jailbreak, along with Hermes and Gaia/Multiman for a pretty long time (3.41 Fat PS3). I'm tired of jailbreaking the PS3 each time I power it on, so I have decided to install a CFW on my PS3.
1) CFW based solutions are pretty much established. The popular CFWs are Hermes 3.41 and Kmeaw 3.55. What are the risks and drawbacks of the CFW?
Is there still a chance of bricking my PS3? What about game support and stability (freezes-wise)?
2) I don't care about PSN and online play at all. I am only looking for good game support and performance, without freezes, crashes and loading problems. If so, will it be best for me to stick with 3.41 Hermes CFW?
3) What is Syscall36 and lv2 patcher? *
4) What is a signed PKG? If I install it for a game, for example NFS:HP, what will it do? *
I searched the forums for those questions but I didn't find simple answers. Everyone is already so familiar with the terms, but I'm not...
5) With the Multiman supporting NTFS, can I use my external NTFS hard drive ONLY FOR copying games from it to the internal PS3 drive?
6) Is it possible to replace my 80GB internal HDD that came with my PS3 to a 320GB Western Digital, retail-bough hard drive?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Without your help I'm pretty much lost.
1. Loss of psn, some games and future games require 3.56+ firmwares to run, people usually make modified eboots, etc to make it run on 3.55 and below. As for the bricks, I haven't heard anything about Kmeaw's CFW bricking ps3s. Not sure about other CFWs though.
2. I would go with Kmeaw's CFW. It has only froze about 5 times for me, I've had it since it first came out. Games perform well on internal or external. Compatibility is great, you can check out PS Jailbreak Compatibility List for more information on games.
3. Sorry, no idea. :P
4. Again sorry, I don't used signed packages to run my games.
5. Yes, I'm quite sure you can.
6. Yes, if the hard drive meets the ps3 standards = 2.5inch, height = 9.5mm
PAL PS3 640gb - KMEAW 3.55 CFW + latest Multiman + 3.60 Spoof
Thanks for your reply!
1) Do freezes occur because of bad compatibility or randomly? If they are not random, will Hermes 3.41 CFW be freezes-free?
2) I've read that if I upgrade to 3.55 CFW I have to erase my game data. What does game data include? (I wish of course to keep my game saves, it that possible?)
3) Do I have to restore 3.41-modified eboot's to their original form if I'm running 3.55 CFW?
* Unanswered questions (#2, #3, #4...) it the original post are still relevant, looking forward for more input! Thanks in advance!
1. Freezes occur because of the lv2 patching. They've become a lot less since switching the payload in the BM's to syscall 36.
2. No, if you upgrade everything stays intact. You will have to replace any modified files in your game backups with originals though (mainly games you needed to modify to get them working on 3.41. Ex: CODBO, GT5, NFSHP, etc).
3. See #2
2. The only reason to stay on Hermes 3.41 is diskless booting. Compatibility w/ diskless on 3.55 has gone way done compared to 3.41. Freezing should hardly ever happen to you as long as you have the newest BM on 3.55 (BM = Backup Manager)
3. See here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/624362-post5.html for the best explanation you can get between the different syscalls and what they do for each firmware. Lv2 patching is putting the syscall in memory so it can be used with homebrew applications (mostly emulating the BD-rom location as your backup).
4. The packages are mainly to have backups act like PSN content. Meaning, when you install a package and do the necessary moving of files, the game will show up in your XMB for launch instead of in your BM. Downside to this? Game can't be updated and packages are a hassle to get working. I'd personally stay away from them, but if you want to learn something new and play with something new, have at it.
One other reason for 3.41 is greater compatibility on non Sony controllers. If no further cfw's come out for 3.56 and above then the pros and cons between 3.41 and 3.55 will become less obvious as inevitably both will require modified eboots (with 3.55 versions requiring one additional step in the modification process).
Originally Posted by chesh
I toyed with the idea of moving from 3.41 hermes cfw to Kmeas 3.55 but in the end decided against it - similarly there is no reason really (apart from the controller issue) for anyone to go from 3.55 back to 3.41.
I personally like hermes 3.41 along with hermes hw manager 1.5 - it provides all the necessary attributes such as usb mount and booting from an eboot located outwith the main file structure as well as the ability to load games with files greater than 4GB from the external drive (pre-split of course) via its caching to internal function. (A must for games that in future may need USB mounting AND have files over 4GB).
So basically make a decision and stick with it
Thanks for the replies!
1) So what is this syscall thing anyway?
(I'm pretty sure that the average joe shouldn't be bothered with those terms, however I want to be in complete control of all of the technical aspects)
2) Is it true that the lv2 patching is no longer relevant with the newer versions of MM?
3) Where can I find a good guide for upgrading Kmeaw's CFW? And for Hermes CFW?
4) If a game freezes at a certain point, will it always freeze at that point?
I only play the popular games, I guess that the stability in those with the Kmeaw 3.55 is good, right?
* I don't care about discless booting (for now), so I think I'm going with the Kmeaw + MM.
5) Can I play games with larger-than-4GB files on my external NTFS with the new MM?
5) Can I upgrade my internal HDD only with 2.5" one?
If your worried about compatibility and stability stay with hermes CFW, all you have working now will stay the same. no need to mess with a working system.
No freezing and better discless compatibility.
If you go to 3.55 CFW chances are you'll have problems with permissions giving black screen games that previously worked or probs with games that you have used a modded eboot for. Why create this hassle if your happy with your set up now, stick to it
Here is the hermes CFW thread
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/custo...ncluded-77737/ (Custom Firmware 3.41 HERMES (payload v4 included))
You can install the payload separately, shown in the thread or search HManager 1.5, this is hermes manager and includes the payload on boot of the manager.
But I'm tired of messing modified eboots and there are some PSN games I want to try.
Is the stability that better with the Hermes CFW?
3.56 games are out now so you'll need to mod EBOOTS on 3.41 or 3.55
Yes 3.41 is known to be more stable than 3.55
You want to try PSN games, well there is no access to PSN unless you update to 3.60 with no JBreak
I have now upgraded to Kmeaw + latest MM, but I regret it because of the small chance of bricking and freezes.
Where can I find a good guide for downgrading to the 3.41 OFW before I change it again to 3.41 CFW?
And a big question: Will this extra mess around with the firmware I'm planning to do now brick my console?
One more thing: Is there a way of running backup with 3.41 CFW using MM, and not the Hermes Loader / running each time the Hermes payload?