Idiot-Proof Kmeaw 3.55CFW Install
If you are already on a 3.55 CFW (Wutangrza+geohot) then you don't need to update to the new kmeaw firmware. Skip down to step #8 and follow the instructions from there.
First off, download the links below. They contain everything you need to get your PS3 to CFW (custom firmware) 3.55 which enables Backup Managers, signed and unsigned Homebrew. Just a note... Though 3.41 and below PKG files will INSTALL on this CFW, they will NOT WORK. You need to use only the 3.55 signed PKG's, which I am including most of them in this post.
UPDATE: Gaia Manager V2.01+ has come into play and integrates the lv2.pkg directly into the program. Meaning, you no longer have to run the lv2.pkg each time you start up your PS3 if you wish you use Gaia Manager as your Backup Manager. If you do NOT wish you use Gaia Manager v2.01+, continue on with the step #8 for installing and using lv2.pkg. The Gaia Manager.zip has three pkg's inside of it-- GAMES, GAMEZ and BDRIPS. Install the pkg that corresponds with where you have your games saved. For example, mine are in dev_hdd0\games\LUAN\GAMEZ so I will use the GAMEZ pkg.
Multiman has also recently been updated to do away with the lv2.pkg check. You can choose whichever you prefer as they're both great managers.
PS3CFW Prepatched (download if you are not comfortable patching it yourself with the instructions below)
Gaia Manager (removes the need for lv2.pkg)
Multiman (removes need for lv2.pkg)
V2.05 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1AWOMJXQ (NOTE: Add syscall36 support from 2 anonymous people, discless mode is NOT working anymore)
V1.13.03 Update http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W719US23 (use the update after you have 01.13.xx installed)
V1.14.01 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MNU63TI (restores discless mode)
Password for rars:
1. Update to Official Firmware 3.55 (NOTE: If you are on any OFW below 3.55, you can skip updating to OFW 3.55 and go straight to updating with Kmeaw's CFW) with the PS3UPDAT.PUP file located inside of the PS3 3.55 OFW.rar by creating a folder on the root of a flash drive/external HDD named PS3. Now create a new folder inside of the PS3 folder named UPDATE, so that you will now have PS3/UPDATE. Place the PS3UPDAT.PUP inside of the UPDATE folder. Do not delete the PS3UPDAT.PUP off of your PC, you will need it again in a moment.
2. Insert that flash drive/external HDD into the PS3, head over to the Settings menu and click System Update. Select "Update from Removable Media" and proceed with the onscreen instructions.
(If you wish you skip steps 3 and 4, download the PS3CFW.RAR and proceed with step 5. If you wish to save bandwith/time, then continue with steps 3 and 4)
3. Now, extract the PATCH.rar that you downloaded to your C:\ directory. This will add the PATCH folder to C:\ so that the directory will now be "C:\PATCH". Add the PS3UPDAT.PUP to this folder as well.
Open Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and enter the follow commands exactly as they are typed:
cd c:\ PATCH
bspatch.exe PS3UPDAT.PUP PS3CFW.PUP patchfile
4. Delete PS3UPDAT.PUP from your PC and your flash drive/external HDD.
5. Rename PS3CFW.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP
6. Place the newly renamed PS3UPDAT.PUP in the PS3/UPDATE folder of your flash drive that you created earlier.
7. You will now have to install this with the PS3 in recovery/service mode (if on older than 3.55 OFW, install CFW from XMB). To get into recovery/service mode, make sure that your PS3 is turned on and in standby mode (red light on the Power Button) and that nothing is plugged into your USB drives.
Hold down the Power Button and do not let it go, you will hear one beep after a few seconds, followed by another a few seconds later. The PS3 will power down.
NOTE: Slim PS3's may not have any beeps. If you do not hear any beeps, just do the same procedure. The system will still boot into recovery/service mode.
Hold the Power Button again, you will hear one beep after a few seconds, followed by two quick and consecutive beeps.
Release the Power Button.
You are now in Service Mode.
Insert your flash drive/external HDD and select "System Update". Select the only option available from your flash drive/external HDD and follow the on-screen instructions.
Your PS3 may/will reboot several times.
You have now installed kmeaw's Custom Firmware.
8. (THIS STEP IS NOT NEEDED IF YOU USE GAIA MANAGER V2.01. CONTINUE TO STEP #9 IF YOU ARE USING GAIA MANAGER V2.01) Place the lv2.pkg that is inside of the Managers.rar on the root of your flash drive/external HDD. Install lv2.pkg from the INSTALL PKG FILES folder under the Game menu on your PS3 system (the latter method is how you install any .PKG files. They must be on the root of your external storage device). This will install a new entry called "LV2 Patcher". You will need to run the LV2 Patcher each time you power down/reset your PS3 system and it is what removes LV2 checks and enables Backup Managers to work.
9. If you were previously on 3.41 or below and had any jailbreaks on your PS3, they will need to be uninstalled since they are now useless. Make sure to backup any of your Game (LAUN, OMAN) folders on your PS3 HDD before uninstalling any old Backup Managers as they can and usually do delete your game directory when they are uninstalled. Any games with modified EBOOT.BIN files will not work. You will need the original EBOOT.BIN files for the games to have them work.
ALSO: Delete any and all "GAME DATA" from the Game Data Utility under the Game menu on your PS3. Old JB methods will have mirrored possibly corrupt data and will not allow your games to run if that data is still present.
Note: 3.56 FW is out. Online is working for the moment if you follow these steps:
Go to network settings and manually set your primary and secondary DNS to the following--
Complete the rest of the network setup as you normally would.
10. If you're getting black screens or any errors which are not allowing your previously working games to load, install the "Fix Permissions.pkg" and run it once. This should solve that issue as it did for me since some FTP programs will change user permissions int he PS3 directory.