Work in Progress will be Adding/Editting things. Please pm me any corrections, if any should be needed.
This is a review on the new Max-Pic that is fully supported and endorsed by this forum PSX-Scene.com
Max-Pic is the most powerful Pic based dev board available. It can be programmed many different ways just choose your favourite. Unlike most pic based boards this can not be bricked. If the Boot Loader is corrupted somehow, you can easily fix it by re-flashing Boot loader with FPC or ICSP (other Pic boards can be bricked with no way to fix) Your not limited to just using Max-Pic for jailbreaking your ps3. People in this forum have stated you can use this to Hack your xbox (I CAN NOT VERIFY for you as I dont know anything about hacking xbox's, nor do I own one) You can also use this for home Projects which is great. All this together makes Max-Pic on another level above the competition.
More Info can be found at: Max-Pic
*Disclaimer* I have copied the specs directly from the site. I have also added a few notes beside as well as edited some for more clarity. I can verify all specs below are true on the test unit I received.
* Use PIC18F2455/2550 MCU chip (I tested the 2455 with 24kb Flash)
* Comes with HID Boot Loader, you can upgrade via USB port directly
* Comes with the 8pin FPC port,you can program any compatible firmware to PIC chip via FPC programmer
* Comes with one standard 6pin ICSP port, you can program any compatible firmware with any ICSP programmer
* Comes with one RESET/BTL combo button, can use to reset the PIC or enter BTL mode for upgrade
* Comes with 28pin testing pin, very easy to link to the PIC chip with every pin and test
* Comes with 24 pin selector array, you can set almost PIC pin to LED status or pull down to GND
* Comes with 19 LEDs display array, you can see these pins working status
* Comes with the last "F0" LED demo firmware
The build quality of this Max-Pic is excellent. I have tried moving around all the pieces, and they are on there very solid. All the 19 LED lights function perfect, and i'm glad they provided it with a LED/Boot Loader demo Firmware to test them.
Items Came in Anti-Static bags. Very well Protected in a Hard Box to avoid any damage.
My experience with Max-Pic has been very good. I have no major complaints, Max-Pic does what it says it should do with ease. Max-Pic came with LED demo light Firmware, so your must flash it before using to jailbreak ps3. This was done easily once I installed the Programs. Updating on usb is very simple 1. Put it in a computer usb port 2. Press Boot Loader button on Max-Pic 3. Choose Firmware/hex 4. Hit Program 5. Your done. It takes less than 10 seconds to update, via usb from plugging it in to taking it out. Updating with Serial Programmer provided takes a bit longer. The serial pic programmer is made specifically to update Max-Pic and P3Free/Pic-Fun via FPC Port. The steps are virtually the same as updating on USB, differences being you dont plug into usb you plug into FPC port via Serial Programmer. Updating via FPC and ICSP ports will allow you to unbrick your Max-Pic If somehow it does happen. There is awesome support Provided on this forum by Patrick and other owners/members. There are also up-to-date hex's compiled with working LED's thanks to ILLNESS and MODPRO. Does Everything every other Jailbreak device does for about half the price. My only complaint is the large size, as it blocks my other usb port so I must Disconnect my external hd to plug in Max-Pic. This i'snt a major problem as once PS3 is booted up you can disconnect it and plug in external once again.
1. SHOULD NOT BE STOLEN BY CUSTOMS/SONY
2. Great Product Easy to use
3. Very well Supported on this Forum
4. Great Customer Satisfaction Provided by Patrick and his team
5. Can be Upgraded many ways UBS/FPC/ICSP
6. Excellent and Quick firmware updates (thanks to ILLNESS and MODPRO)
7. Solid build quality
1. It is a large board. (On my Fat PS3 with 2 usb ports, I must disconnect External HDD to Plug in Max-Pic then reconnect HDD after jailbroken)
2. PIC boards can have Boot Loader corrupted allowing you not to update via USB (Easily fixed Using the FPC serial programmer just re-flash Boot Loader and your good to go again)
3. Is a Dev Board so its exposed to elements a case to store it would be nice
4. Only has 24kb Flash (not a big issue is more than enough currently, is a con because other boards are coming out with 128kb flash)