The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Olimex AVR-USB-162+AVR-USB-STK Guide - 14/7/10 UPDATED W/ ONLINE GAME UPDATES!
Olimex AVR-USB-162+AVR-USB-STK Guide - 14/7/10 UPDATED W/ ONLINE GAME UPDATES! –
_*Before we start.
Make sure you on firmware 3.41.
Make sure you have the following two Applications:
After you have installed FLIP w/ JAVA or just FLIP software itself if you already have Java Runtime Installed, please reboot your PC.
Step 1 *(A) - GETTING IT TO DFU MODE:
Step 1 *(B) - INSTALLING DRIVERS:
- Plug in the device USB Female>Male to PC.
- Then you will see the Olimex device LED light up red
- If you have a Olimex AVR-USB-162, press AND hold the 'RST' button, while holding on the 'RST' button, press and hold the 'BUT', then let go of the 'RST' and then the 'BUT' button.
- If you have a Olimex AVR-USB-STK, press AND hold the 'RST' button, while holding on the 'RST' button, press and hold the 'HWB', then let go of the 'RST' and then the 'HWB' button.
- The LED light on your device will now turn off, now your device is in DFU mode, you would have to install the drivers that came with FLIP to flash.
if the LED is not turned off, unplug the Olimex device and replug it, then follow the Steps in 1 *(A)
The two buttons can be found here:
Step 2 *(A) - CONFIGURING FLIP & ERASING THE DEVICE
Now your device is in DFU mode and that windows does not detect the drivers for the device, you would have to install them manually.
- Right click 'My Computer' or 'Computer' if your using Windows 7, then click 'Manage'.
- 'Computer Management' will now open up, now you will see 'AT90USB162' and next to it would be a 'Yellow Question Mark Icon'.
- Right click 'AT90USB162' and click 'Update Driver Software', a window will now pop-up, then click 'Browse my computer for driver software', then click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
- Then click 'Have Disk...' button and browse and browse for X:\Program Files\Atmel\Flip 3.4.1\usb and select 'atmel_usb_dfu.inf' and click next to install the driver.
I used X:\ as a example of a drive letter. Also if error occurs while installing the driver, reboot the PC and please repeat steps 1A and 1B again.
Step 2 *(B) - FLASHING THE DEVICE
- Open up 'FLIP' and click on the 'CHIP Icon, 1st icon' known as 'Select a Target Device', then a list of device will pop up, select 'AT90USB162' and click ok.
- Now click on the 'USB Icon, 2nd icon' known as 'Select a Communication Medium', then click on 'USB', then click 'Open'. Now you device is opened and its ready to be erased.
- Click on the 'Eraser Chip Icon, 3rd icon' known as 'Erase Target Device Memory' and it will erase your Olimex device.
leave FLIP opened, do not close the program as your going to flash the device in the next step!
Step 3 - TESTING THE DEVICE
Flashing starts now
Here is the fun part!
- While FLIP is opened, click on 'File' > 'Load HEX File...' and browse for the HEX file that you have downloaded in this thread.
- Now that you have opened the HEX file that you have downloaded from this thread, click on the 'Chip Icon With A Red Arrow' known as 'Program Target Device Memory' and it will flash the programmed HEX file on your Olimex USB Device.
Flashing and Erase process is quick! So don't worry.
Now that your device is flashed, it is now time to test out your flashed device.
- Unplug the power cable if you have a PS3 SLIM at the back of the PS3. If you have a PS3 PHAT, turn switch off.
- Plug in your Olimex device.
- Reconnect the power cable if you have a PS3 SLIM. If you have a PS3 PHAT, turn the switch at the back on.
Make sure you ONLY have your Olimex device plugged onto your PS3 usb port, you cannot boot into homebrew mode with multiple USB devices plugged in at the same time.
- Now press the 'Power Button' then 'Eject button' on your PS3 as quick as you can.
- Your Olimex device should light up with a Red LED and then turn off automatically indicating that the homebrew is working. To also check if it is working, goto GAME is XMB and see if you can find 'Installed Packages' and 'Apps_home/PS3_GAME'.
Updated HEX with games online updates. (Thanks to SorrowUK and Rancid)
Last edited by Anony; 10-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Thanks for the detailed guide. Just wondering, is there more info on Psgroove? I just preordered the JB device for $130, from an overseas website seeing that it's now banned here in Aus. Does Groove allow backup launches, or just homebrew?
Edit: If it doesn't support backup launches..wouldn't it be possible to create a backup launcher..as in a simple homebrew app? I certainly don't condone piracy, and I'm not going to bother trying to prove that I want this for legit purposes. I'd like to be able to launch games from a hard drive, just for the loading times. Even if the disc has to be in the drive I'd be happy with that
Thank you sir, I am from Australia to. PSJB is a rip, therefore I bought my olimex from Dontronics for $70 including express post. Unfortunetly they are sold out now.
Originally Posted by Musti08
Regarding about the PSGroove, the open source only allows you to play around with homebrew. However it is possible to play backups, you will need someone to compile you a hex image. Though piracy talk is not allowed here. If you do a bit googling, I'm sure you will find a compiled hex to allow you to play backups.
Last edited by Anony; 09-11-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Fair enough. I understand that discussion of piracy isn't allowed here, or any other legit forum for that matter. But like I said I would love to be able to play off a hard drive. However I'll start googling it and see what I can come up with.
Can you give me more information on the product you've purchased? I was going to buy a ATAVRXPLAIN however they seem to be out of stock everywhere as well. It's much cheaper than the product you've purchased..
One thing I'd love to see is a media player! with MKV support..then that 2TB drive I have for the playstation will finally have a use Also, please PM me asap if you find anywhere that has stock!
Edit: I seem to have found quite a bit of stock for the ATAVRXPLAIN
Please read this step there is something not clear:
* Then press and hold the the RST button (Reset), while holding on the RST button, press and hold the HWB button (Hardware).
* Then release the RST button while holding onto the HWB button and once you release the HWB button, release the RST button.
Opps sorry, will change immediately. Thanks for picking that up.
Originally Posted by Kenshindono
Just got my avr-usb-stk but i can't make it to DFU mode with anything.
I have tried everything but still nothing.
First try :
Hold RST, while holding RST i pressed HWB then i release RST and after HWB nothing.
In the manual also says Hold HWB , while holding press RST then release RST.
But still nothing.
Maybe is the usb cable ? But i am using a to b usb cable from a printer so i think should be fine ?
Anyone has any idea ?
On my board, the big button is labeled BUT. Hold that down first, then while holding it down press and release the RST button. Then release the big button.
This should place the board in to DFU mode where you should be able to install the drivers.
Bgnome>> In the avr-usb-stk has one button RST one button HWB and the joystick only it hasn't a big button (check the second picture)
Hello first of all i want to say thanx for fixing this .
I have som trouble
i have gotten to the part where i have installed backupmanager and the usb card is working even installed ftp server .
and then i tested to backup my Bad Company 2 and it did then i try to start it and i get back to crossbar meny as i should BUT the disk hasent changed name to bad company and if i try to start the disk(game) it starts the game on the disk????
anyone had same thing ??
what should i do??