Olimex AVR-USB-162+AVR-USB-STK Guide - 14/7/10 UPDATED W/ ONLINE GAME UPDATES!
_*Before we start.
Make sure you on firmware 3.41.
Make sure you have the following two Applications:
After you have installed FLIP w/ JAVA or just FLIP software itself if you already have Java Runtime Installed, please reboot your PC.
Step 1 *(A) - GETTING IT TO DFU MODE:
Step 1 *(B) - INSTALLING DRIVERS:
- Plug in the device USB Female>Male to PC.
- Then you will see the Olimex device LED light up red
- If you have a Olimex AVR-USB-162, press AND hold the 'RST' button, while holding on the 'RST' button, press and hold the 'BUT', then let go of the 'RST' and then the 'BUT' button.
- If you have a Olimex AVR-USB-STK, press AND hold the 'RST' button, while holding on the 'RST' button, press and hold the 'HWB', then let go of the 'RST' and then the 'HWB' button.
- The LED light on your device will now turn off, now your device is in DFU mode, you would have to install the drivers that came with FLIP to flash.
if the LED is not turned off, unplug the Olimex device and replug it, then follow the Steps in 1 *(A)
The two buttons can be found here:
Step 2 *(A) - CONFIGURING FLIP & ERASING THE DEVICE
Now your device is in DFU mode and that windows does not detect the drivers for the device, you would have to install them manually.
- Right click 'My Computer' or 'Computer' if your using Windows 7, then click 'Manage'.
- 'Computer Management' will now open up, now you will see 'AT90USB162' and next to it would be a 'Yellow Question Mark Icon'.
- Right click 'AT90USB162' and click 'Update Driver Software', a window will now pop-up, then click 'Browse my computer for driver software', then click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.
- Then click 'Have Disk...' button and browse and browse for X:\Program Files\Atmel\Flip 3.4.1\usb and select 'atmel_usb_dfu.inf' and click next to install the driver.
I used X:\ as a example of a drive letter. Also if error occurs while installing the driver, reboot the PC and please repeat steps 1A and 1B again.
Step 2 *(B) - FLASHING THE DEVICE
- Open up 'FLIP' and click on the 'CHIP Icon, 1st icon' known as 'Select a Target Device', then a list of device will pop up, select 'AT90USB162' and click ok.
- Now click on the 'USB Icon, 2nd icon' known as 'Select a Communication Medium', then click on 'USB', then click 'Open'. Now you device is opened and its ready to be erased.
- Click on the 'Eraser Chip Icon, 3rd icon' known as 'Erase Target Device Memory' and it will erase your Olimex device.
leave FLIP opened, do not close the program as your going to flash the device in the next step!
Step 3 - TESTING THE DEVICE
Flashing starts now :) Here is the fun part!
- While FLIP is opened, click on 'File' > 'Load HEX File...' and browse for the HEX file that you have downloaded in this thread.
- Now that you have opened the HEX file that you have downloaded from this thread, click on the 'Chip Icon With A Red Arrow' known as 'Program Target Device Memory' and it will flash the programmed HEX file on your Olimex USB Device.
Flashing and Erase process is quick! So don't worry.
Now that your device is flashed, it is now time to test out your flashed device.
- Unplug the power cable if you have a PS3 SLIM at the back of the PS3. If you have a PS3 PHAT, turn switch off.
- Plug in your Olimex device.
- Reconnect the power cable if you have a PS3 SLIM. If you have a PS3 PHAT, turn the switch at the back on.
Make sure you ONLY have your Olimex device plugged onto your PS3 usb port, you cannot boot into homebrew mode with multiple USB devices plugged in at the same time.
- Now press the 'Power Button' then 'Eject button' on your PS3 as quick as you can.
- Your Olimex device should light up with a Red LED and then turn off automatically indicating that the homebrew is working. To also check if it is working, goto GAME is XMB and see if you can find 'Installed Packages' and 'Apps_home/PS3_GAME'.
Updated HEX with games online updates. :) (Thanks to SorrowUK and Rancid)