ps3 & jailbreaking general Q's
just picked up a ps3 for cheap because it was "broken" aka needed a new power/eject board for $14. win
its a ps3 slim from 2009 cech-2001a.
now im looking to jailbreak it and have found tutorials and everything but i am interested in the basic info that accompanies modding, basically these questions, some of which may seem a little dumb, so please bare with me.
1. jailbreaking is essentially the same thing as flashing an xbox360?
1.5. is homebrew accompanied and part of the JBing?
2. the custom firmware is what we are installing allowing for playing of backups?
3. how does one go about not getting banned from online play, and what would get me banned?
4. with the newer cfw, are NTFS drives readable (for movies)?
5. BF3 is obviously a new wave game. i know it needs a new not-finished cfw, but i also read something about 1.01 update that cant be done on "older" ps3s, what are the facts here...?
6. I am on system firmware 3.5, whats the best route to get my backups playing?
7. Can i format the ps3's harddrive to a filesystem accessible by my pc such that i can boot games straight off of it?
I am mostly trying to play MGS and Batman (for now) as well as some older games which i assume work fine with the CFW for these 2 games, but is there anything else special i need to know.
i basically am looking for a little rundown of how it all works so i can then be caught up for future updates in the scene. i have knowledge of xbox360 mod stuff, so relating it to that (if easier) could be helpful.