How to Fix PS3 no DVD icon(Also works when your PS3 won't recognize DVD or blu-ray)
I thought this might help you guys out.
Last night, my ps3 froze up on the XMB and it shut off. When I turned it back on, it asked me to rebuild my database, then at 0% it crashed.
Once I turned it back on again, it wouldn't recognize any DVD or Blu-ray DVD's (it would show the blue light on the PS3 but no dvd icon on the screen)
So this was the steps I did to fix it:
1. Turn off your PS3
2. Go to recovery mode
3. Click on "Rebuild Database"
4. Then wait until it reaches 100% (If it crashes again, just rebuilding it again)
5. If it's asking you to "Rebuild Database" more then 5 times, then your HDD is probably deffected. You need to get a new HDD.
6. If everything went fine, Your done!
7. If your still having problem, try changing your HDD, if it works then your other HDD is dmg, if it doesn't work then if prob your blu-ray drive.
My friend had the same problem about 1 month ago, except that he was going to buy a new PS3 blu-ray drive. So today morning I went over his house and I did the same steps above, and it was reading games again!
So before you go and buy a new drive, try the steps above, if it doesn't work, then you will prob need a new drive.