Dumping/Flashing Xbox360 Slim (Trinity) Nand with ProgSkeet
Hello, with the recent release of the new Hack for the xbox360 console called "The CPU Glitch Hack" which enables running of unsigned code on the xbox360 machine, similar to the old known (but Limited) Jtag hack. There was a need to dump the nand of the xbox360 in order to prepare the "Xell Reloaded" image which is console/nand specific or maybe the "FreeBoot" image in the near future.
Dumping the xbox360 nand can be already achieved using many ways, like an LPT cable soldered directly to the console SPI port (7 wires) in combination to the famous and excellent application "nandpro" by Tiros which works for both LPT and USB flashing, or using a USB homemade or commercial SPI flasher like Maximus Nand Flasher or Xecuter NandX.
But for Progskeet owners, there was no available diagram for the Testpoints needed to solder and dump/flash the nand with Progskeet, so I spent some time on a Slim Trinity board in order to locate all the Nand Testpoints needed to achieve this using the famous Flasher now: ProgSkeet
The Parameters needed for the xbox360 16mb nand with the ProgSkeet Flasher are:
Pages per block = 32
Block Count = 1024
check the "RAW" option button (without checking RAW the dump will be 16MB instead of 16.5MB and won't work)
I have soldered ProgSkeet using this diagram and successfully dumped the nand many times, compared the dumps (md5 check all passed)
Also I flashed the dump back to the nand without any problem, re-dumped and compared again, all good without any issues.
Steps needed for the process:
- I have R8 removed permanently from my Progskeet (always open)
- Switch installed on R7 and in "On" position (closed)
- Wire ProgSkeet to test points.
- Plug Power cable into xbox360, Stand-by only (machine always off, this prevents the South-Bridge from interfering with the write process)
- Open Progskeet Software on Windows XP (WinXP works better for now, Win7 compatibility problems are being fixed)
- Plug the USB cable from PC into ProgSkeet (WinXP must detect it, Driver must be pre-installed)
- Use ProgSkeet software to read/write NAND with the correct parameters (Pages per block=32, Block Count=1024, RAW checked)
N.B: while dumping or writing, leave the focus on the ProgSkeet Flasher and don't touch anything until it's 100% done,
or the process may hang and you may need to restart the PC or simply unplug/replug the USB cable.
here's a photo of the installed Flasher: