I saw your post on Mighty No.9 Kickstarter and decided to try your game as it was on PSP. After playing the initial level and Daisie, here are a few thoughts:
* Full width would be nice OR if that's not doable some image to replace the black bars maybe as an option. I read your comment about trying to get the full-screen working. Great!
* As mentioned before, PSP version has framerate issues in music and other. For example cannot see some bullets. Maybe moving could be a little smoother, not necessary.
* GOOD: Continue places were in good places.
* MIXED: Daisie and the initial boss were too easy. Need balancing.
* BAD: Instant deaths falling behind floor seems a little bad level design. If this is wanted, maybe the tiles could be different.
* BUG: Game freezes when you press select.
* FEATURE REQUEST: Analog support
Thanks for your release. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated :)
About your questions:
- full screen works, but I need to add an option in config. The problem is that due to some problems in PSP SDL, it causes strange color problems, so I need to save options and ask for a game restart for this to work. It should be there on next beta version.
- yes, mostly in Apebot's stage, there are some slowdowns. I could not yet figure the reason, as even some less powerfull devices as Dingoo do not suffer from it. Will digg to solve this later, when code is more finished.
- I'm working on bosses and enemies artificial inteligence, the game is indeed too easy now.
- the falling death reproduces megaman style, but if you please, there is an editor that works on Windows and Linux, so you can edit a stage and send me, I'm open to submissions all the time :)
- the select freeze is something I forgot to remove - I think current beta I'm working now fixes this - as in some systems you do not have "menu" like PSP/PS3 to leave the game, so you need a "quit" button like ESC on PC. But due to how PSP works, leaving the program just freezes everything, not leaving nicely.
- it is planned an option to switch between digital/analog, but trust me, playing an action game like Rockbot with the PSP's analog is VERY, VERY BAD :D
Thanks for your input, if you have suggestions, please don't be shy and ask freely :)
And thank you for your reply. I did take a look into the editor. It's interesting. I didn't find how the fall block of Daisie stage was made. The block wasn't in the objects; the image was in the tileset, though. Rockbot Editor 1.0 b4 (Windows) crash when you press Maps tab. Otherwise it seemed to work.
I also played one new stage on Windows. I finished the Mage stage. I believe a checkpoint should be before the boss - yeah I lost on the first try :) The second time I just kept shooting, and Mage didn't do a thing (yes I know AI). Compared to yesterday's experience with PSP, I feel that maybe the PC version runs a little too fast. One thing I also paid attention was that enemies vanish for a second when they take a hit.
I've changed things on beta5 a bit, rockbot is faster and have a long jump (almost like if you use game genie moonwalk, hehehe). But yes, I need to do more speed adjusting, on my linux computer, the game is running at 70 fps while 40-50 is the target I want (solid, without speed drops). This could be caused because of my experiments tryi9ng to fix PSP slowdowns.
Originally Posted by batanen
About the NPC dissapearring, it was to be an effect (blinking) but never worked well, so I replaced it for another method that makes the NC blink as white, is is much better now ^^
Anyway, it is actually good to know that you are seeing the same issues I know, this means I am on right track. Congratulations for your work fill your ego, but what really moves a project like this forward are critics :D
Just released beta 6 at Rockbot » sidescroller game engine
I found the speed issue, it was.. the stage music! Seems like PSP SDL have some problem in mod depending on the instruments/instructions it contains.