I'm not sure what you mean here. Since I don't have any official adapter I can't test or know for sure what might work with it. But all my Datel cards do work just fine with my PS2 consoles, both for normal gamesaves and software booting, so they are not unreliable in any way.
Originally Posted by jimmikaelkael
I've double-checked the documentation (scant as usual) that came with the Datel adapter, and it clearly states that some of their own MCs are not compatible with it, which explains the failed results with all my 32MB cards by them and I suspect the same would be true for all 16MB cards as well. But even more surprising is that their software also failed to access an original Sony MC which is the one I normally use for the SwapMagic boot elf on my SCPH-90004...
This is probably the same problem that gave failure with the Datel adapter when I tried it with my own 32MB Max Memory cards.
I only have 1 Datel Max 32 at home, but she failed to authentificate properly everytime because it doesn't seems to handle properly the method to set a termination code for further communications (as after all, unlike an official mc, a Datel mc doesn't need to be authentificated to deliver its datas).
In fact the VID and PID were both identical, but some other ID codes are also relevant and they did differ, explaining the device access failure.
About the 'failed to attach usb device' error, one thing to check is VID and PID, as I as guess they may be different from the offical adaptor.
It is supposed to be able to do it, that is clearly stated on the packaging, but for me that too failed with the only 8MB Sony MC I have at home (I have some out on loan though).
I'm wondering, is the Datel software able to access an official mc at all ?
Sure. I'll attach it in a ZIP to this post. That INF doesn't use quite the same format as yours, but it is still easy to find the crucial IDs.
If the dll is byte to byte identical, I don't think you need to change it as this mean I've used the same libusb version for windows (188.8.131.52).
Is it possible for you to show me the .inf file used by datel's driver ?
Now for some new results at my end: (still not much fun though)
I uninstalled the original drivers, so I would get a proper driver choice prompt from Windows when I next plugged in the adapter, and then chose the folder where I unpacked the drivers I earlier downloaded from the link in this thread. This worked fine, and afterwards I could finally use the test BAT file I had prepared in the ps3mca-tool folder without that dreaded failure to access the USB device. But the result was still not much nicer than before, as I now consistently got another error message instead, saying:
And that error is consistent for all my MCs, and is the same as when nothing is connected to the MC port.
Accessing memory card...
Error: no PS2 Memory Card detected... (-11)
ERROR: failed to access MC
So this is still not working for me at all... :(
And yet the use of identical low-level drivers implies that it should only take some small change to make it work with either adapter. If only we knew how to do it...
Best regards: dlanor