Problems installing Free McBoot
I posted this elsewhere and was going to take the advice I got (buy Verbatim DVDs) but I'm not sure I need to or not. Allow me to explain.
A year ago I used the game swap trick with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory to install Free Mcboot on a friend's PS2. Everything went smoothly. I just recently bought a PS2 that can be modded and attempted to do the same thing myself but I can't get it to work. If I recall correctly, at the screen where it says "Press Start" I have to swap to my burned copy of the game, press start, and try to enter multiplayer to enter the installation menu. Every time I've tried I am taken to a red screen telling me to insert a Playstation 2 disc.
I'll list the steps I've gone through, hoping that someone here will recognize any errors that I've made.
1. Ripped the game's .iso with Imgburn.
2. Open up the image in Apache
3. Highlight SC3_ON.ELF
4. Change TOC size to 915196.
5. Choose update selected file. Replace it with the uncompressed BOOT.ELF (which I downloaded from Free McBoot's site) that I renamed to SC3_ON.ELF.
6. Burn the .iso to a dvd.
7. Put INSTALL folder and FREE_MCBOOT.ELF on my FAT32 USB drive.
I thought the .iso may have been bad or the dvd I used may be incompatible (I'm using Memorex DVD-Rs with a model 39001 PS2) but if that were the case I'd think that the game wouldn't run when I swapped discs.