Creating a virtual machine yourself and building the toolchain/psl1ght is actually quite easy.
Thanks evilsperm, i used both your multi-sdk and psl1ght images before just creating my own.
1) download and install virtualbox
2) download a ubuntu cd image (minimal or full, however you like to set things up)
3) create a new virtual machine in virtualbox
4) mount the ubuntu image in the machine settings
5) start machine and install desired ubuntu distro
6) once linux is live, open terminal and get pre-requisites:
7) now lets make some directories for everything
sudo apt-get install autoconf automake bison flex gcc libelf-dev libtool make texinfo libncurses5-dev patch python subversion wget python-dev zlib1g-dev lippl0.10-dev libcloog-ppl-dev git
8) now navigate to that directory
9) you will now have a folder called ps3toolchain in ~/ps3/dev
sudo git clone git://github.com/ps3dev/ps3toolchain.git
10) run toolchain script from terminal
11) set system variables in .bashrc from terminal
a window will pop up with a text editor, at the bottom cut and paste this: