Playstation Menu System - PS3 backup manager/homebrew launcher
I've started work on the PS3 successor to my original Xbox homebrew menu system "Media X Menu" (MXM). MXM was an open source hard drive menu system which featured extremely configurable skins (including video elements and RSS news feeds), a built in FTP server, and even a scripting language that was even used to create a full game of Tetris.
My plans for PMS are ambitious, and I will be looking for some help on this project, after I get the initial groundwork done. Here are the bullet points:
- A Windows Skinning application written with OpenGL and FreeType - this is a .NET app written with the Tao OpenGL and Icarus FreeType wrappers.
- PMS: The ability to parse XML files (Skin definitions)
- PMS: The ability to play MPEG files as video elements
- PMS: Configurable "gadgets" - Menus, for example, that can be defined to allow scrolling selections like CoverFlow-style displays
- PMS: The PS3 SDK already has FTP functionality, which wil be incorporated into the app
- PMS: Per game configuration. Capable of preview videos, help screens (Like MXM)
Here is an example of MXM running an excellent Matrix Reloaded-inspired skin:
I wish I had more videos... these are circa 2003, before the days of YouTube. At one time, there were hundreds of skins for MXM.
Feel free to post some ideas here and thoughts...