The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Well, im using Novachip/Origa too..
SOmetime need to try 2-3 time to boot dvdr.
that is because the lens having a hard time reading the dvdr
so actually u need to put the dvdr around 1 min-2 min in it and then u press x...actually depend on the quality..i have to put my FF X Int. disc around 1 min to get it to boot properly..or it just hang at the black screen..
but if im using a great quality dvdr...it just around 5 sec...
....i think the lens trying to read the dvd toc ...and having a hard time reading it!!!
Thanks but i cant get it to work. I let it stand for like 1 to 30 min and then i press x....black screen of death...I tried my GTA3 also and it doesnt work. .. it's hopeless... thanks anyways archonixm
It probably is your laser on its way out then. Its common knowlege in the Audio repair industry that $ony couldnt make a decent laser if their whole business depended on it.
You only have to look at early PSX's to realise this Situation is not helpd by forcing it to work harder by using cheap (read crap) CD-R and DVD-R media.
A friend of mine was an Aiwa engeineer and he estimated that 75% of all Late 90's Aiwa units were returned under warranty at least once for replacement laser (we assumed the other 25% didnt get much use so failed out of warry).
Ill give you one guess who Aiwa outsourced the laser manufacturing to.
Good luck in finding a replacement unit.
RE: Failing Laser –
I have to agree with DeMOns--your laser may be on it's last leg. I'm not sure if it's practicle with the PS2 or not-- I know it can be done, just not sure how--you may be able to salvage a little extra life if you refocus the laser a bit. Just a LITTLE tweaking so you don't screw up your ability to read original CD's and DVD's.
I had an old Kenwood CD Changer--one of the first to use the 5-disk magazine that could be used in both the home and car changers. It started having trouble reading high quality burned media, then eventually originals. I refocused the beam a bit, and it revived it to where it read originals fine, burns 50/50. It didn't last much longer, but it got me through the summer until I could afford a replacement.
I know there have been some posts about this on the other forums, just can't remember where. May have been GameCopyWorld ( www.fileforums.com ), not sure.
I guess you guys are rite.... ill just sell it and get a new one with a better modchip......
laser dying –
i can see the laser dying...but i don't think its a super common problem for the laser to die. I had my ps-one for 3 years and i beat it up good and its still kickin, the culprit seems to be people who try to cut corners on media, and thats what seems to kill the laser. High Reflectivity media is a must if you want to prolong life expectancy. Just a thought i just bought a premodded Magic 2 ps2 and I use TDK and i bet it will last the duration of my time using it till ps3 hits..peace
I think that using good quality media will help perlong the lifespan of the laser but this is only a contributing factor, even if you played nothing but orginals how long your laser would last would still be a bit of a gamble.
I know of several v3 and v4 consoles that have not been chipped and have never even been shown a CD-R that are now failing. To me thats NOT a great lifespan.
As for lifespans of PSX's and PS-Ones the 1xxx seris was truely awful and the 5xxx didnt fair too much better (despite $ony reputidly re-designing the lasers). 7 and 9 series machines and PS-One's seem to be much better, although I have no really subjective data to back this up.
For PS2 owners Lik-Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com) are selling replacemant laser lens units in their Repairs section. They are for the 'small eye' model of ps2. They are also selling most types of replacement ribbon cable.
For PSX owners lik sang have got replacement laser spindles to combat the other design flaw of PSX's, disintigration of the centre disk platter.
Hope this helps someone.
By Kemikals 2003 in forum PS2 Game Backup
Last Post: 04-04-2003, 12:03 PM
By zlgin in forum PS2 Homebrew/Dev & Emu Scene
Last Post: 03-02-2003, 12:51 AM
By Raptor in forum PS2 Game Backup
Last Post: 02-08-2003, 06:25 AM
By meyousikmann in forum PS2 Modchips
Last Post: 01-04-2003, 12:48 PM
By Exclusiv in forum PS2 Modchips
Last Post: 12-03-2002, 06:56 PM