The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Backup process fails @ rougly 80%
Backup process fails @ rougly 80% –
I've been having problems backing up a couple of CD games (Contra:Shattered Soldier and 18 Wheeler). Both fail at the same point on 3 different burners using CDRWin 3.8f, Prassi PrimoDVD, CloneCD (with ClonyXXL) - at roughly 80% through the read process.
I've cleaned the discs and the lasers on all my burners and I'm able to backup anything else onto DVD-R or CD-R except for these games.... Any ideas? I'm thinking it has something to do with the Libcrypt on the PS2 CD discs.
Clone CD should work. Don't do direct 1:1 copy though, nothing but headaches doing it that way. Try copying an image of the disc down to your C:\(folder) then burning the backup from that image. That's how I did mine and the game works great...unless you have an older swap chip like mine an then you have to use the Auto-eject swap method for the game to boot.
There is no Lybcrypt on PS2 discs like there is with PC discs. You've got some sort of other problem going on there.
Are you trying to copy a copy or an original? CDRWin has handled any and every PSX and PS2 CD title I've ever thrown at it.
Unless it's just those two titles, you may be developing an intermittent servo problem with the laser head in your burner, especially if it has a good number of burns under its belt. The other thing might be the way you have the burner and reader set up on your system.
IDE is notoriously CPU intensive and depends on it for a good deal of the controller's functionality. If the reader and burner are on the same channel/chain you could be getting a buffer underrun because your CPU can't shunt data back and forth over the same cable fast enough. Drive to drive burns should be done from separate channels, which is why imaging to HD first usually eliminate that problem. Add into this mix the issue of whether you're running Ultra DMA mode on that channel as opposed to PIO. DMA asks even more of your CPU for those block data transfers and if it misses one - blooey!
Try setting your Secondary controller channel to PIO mode and give it another try. That just may do the trick.
Otherwise, as a last resort, I'd suggest trying BlindWrite Suite as it uses it's own set of drivers and believe me, that app has done work for me that CloneCD couldn't even get through on either my Plex or Yamaha...
Finally, I fully agree with Cappy though. I always image it to HD first and then burn it back, even on my other SCSI system. Less grief (and coasters)...
I've always imaged my burns to HD first - and you guys are right, there are less coasters made that way.
Anyhoo, I'll give all your suggestions a try and see how everything goes. Thanks guys!