The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Rogero CFW how-to –
With the sheer, enormous amounts of people who have no reading-comprehension skills and who lack common sense I'll try to put up a simple, precise how-to for both installing the CFW 4.21 by Rogero, and for downgrading back down from it.
First things first: you cannot install the CFW on any official firmware above 3.55. Also, you cannot install it on any firmware below 3.55. You must be at 3.55.
Second: remove any game discs you may have inside the console!
Now, you must download the following files:
Rogero CEX-4.21 CFW: http://www.sendspace.com/file/zlv563 or http://www.multiupload.nl/O2JHWTV3AG
Kmeaw 3.55 CFW: http://www.mediafire.com/?xs774x69ullmqd9
Then get yourself a USB-device with ~500MB free space. The device must be formatted with fat32, ie. NTFS or exFAT do not work.
*Dehashing the console first*
1) Make a folder named "PS3" on your USB-device, and then inside the "PS3"-folder make another folder called "UPDATE", ie. USB-device:/PS3/UPDATE/
2) Place the PS3UPDAT.PUP from kmeaw-CFW-3.55 rar in there, ie. USB-device:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP
3) Plug the USB-device to your PS3
4) Boot to recovery mode
5) Remove any game discs from inside the console
6) Use "System Update" to install Kmeaw CFW 3.55
1) Open the MD5 Check Utility, point it at Rogero_CEX4.21_v1.09d.PUP and check that the MD5 matches e777351e788a7eb4007a2280abca7fbd . This is important. Wrong MD5 means the file is corrupted and you will likely brick your console if you try to install it.
2) Rename the Rogero_CEX4.21_v1.09d.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP
3) Make a folder named "PS3" on your USB-device, and then inside the "PS3"-folder make another folder called "UPDATE", ie. USB-device:/PS3/UPDATE/
4) Copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP to the folder you just made in the above step, ie. USB-device:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP
5) Copy toggle_qa.pkg on the root of the USB-device, ie. USB-device:/toggle_qa.pkg
6) Plug the USB-device to your PS3, start the console up, and install toggle_qa.pkg from there
7) Run "Toggle QA" from XMB and wait for PS3 to beep. If it does not beep then toggling QA didn't work and you should try again. If it still does not work start all over again from dehashing.
8) Boot to recovery menu
9) Install Rogero via System Update
First things first: You cannot downgrade from anything above 3.55 this way except from Rogero's CFW. That means you cannot downgrade from official firmwares. Stop asking. You need a hardware flasher like E3 or Progskeet for that.
Download the following files:
4.25 downgrader: http://www.sendspace.com/file/d9pe9v
Rogero CEX-3.55 CFW V3.7: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6njwvd
Remove any game disc you may have inside the console
1) Rename the 4.21 downgrader to PS3UPDAT.PUP
2) Make a folder named "PS3" on your USB-device, and then inside the "PS3"-folder make another folder called "UPDATE", ie. USB-device:/PS3/UPDATE/
3) Copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP to the folder you just made in the above step, ie. USB-device:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP
4) Copy toggle_qa.pkg on the root of the USB-device, ie. USB-device:/toggle_qa.pkg
5) Plug the USB-device to your PS3 and start the console up
6) Boot to recovery menu
7) Install the downgrader via System Update
8) Boot back to XMB
9) And install toggle_qa.pkg from the USB-device
10) Run "Toggle QA" from XMB and wait for PS3 to beep. If it does not beep then toggling QA didn't work and you should try again.
11) Un-plug the USB-device, plug it on your computer
12) Rename the V3.7A.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP, and copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP to the folder you just made in the above step, ie. USB-device:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP
13) Boot your PS3 to recovery mode and install the CFW via System Update
Frequently asked questions:
Q: How do I get to recovery menu?
Here is how to access the recovery menu:
a. Turn off Playstation®3.
b. Turn it on and keep Holding The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
c. Once the System has been shutdown, Turn it on again and keep Holding The power button down (you will hear 1 beep first, keep holding) until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
d. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
e. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
f. The Recovery menu will pop up.
Q: Is it safe to install this CFW?
A: No. There is always the chance of a brick. Also, the v1.09d of Rogero's CFW seems to cause bricks on fat, old models of PS3 whereas the v1.00 was stable for them. Keep this in mind!
Q: My console doesn't respond to anything and just shows a black screen, is it bricked?
A: Yes. There is no software-method for recovering from that, you must find someone with hardware-flasher like e.g. E3 or Progskeet to fix that, or buy those yourself. Sorry.
Q: Waaaaah, my game does not work!
A: If the eboot has been modified then you will need to get the original one. Modified eboots do not work. Also, try rummaging around with different Multiman - settings or deleting old installation-files from your PS3 and installing the game again.
Q: I want to downgrade from OFW 3.65/4.25/x.xx!
A: Tough shit. I already said you can't.
Q: Waaaah, my homebrew does not work!
A: Either wait for a new version of your homebrew or re-sign the homebrew for 4.21.
Q: Waaaaah, I..
A: If there's something I haven't answered here then Google it. Do not PM me, I'll just ignore any messages like that.
I've seen a lot of confusion about the "4.25 downgrader" on multiple sites. I was even a bit confused about it myself for some time. A lot of people including myself has mistaken it for a way to downgrade from 4.25 ofw to 3.55, but this doesn't seem the case at all. Can someone explain to me why it's even called 4.25 downgrader? Wouldn't it have made more sense to call it something a little less confusing?
Thanks for taking the time to write up this guide. I've bookmarked it and will people here when the topic comes up.
Because the first 4.21 CFW by Rogero was spoofed to version 4.25, ie. the downgrader was designed for that, first.
Originally Posted by space
Hello everyone. What happens if I try to install 4.21 Rogero v1.09 on OFW 4.21 ? When I put an usb stick into my ps3 and make system update via usb, my console sees rogero firmware and want to update.
I had previously installed cfw 3.55 kmeaw and since one year im goin only on ofw firmwares.
I searched in many places, perhaps inaccurately, but I have not seen anyone try to install 4.21 rogero on 4.21 ofw.
This is a joke right? You read the OP? The bit where it says "First Things first"
Originally Posted by StRess
This isn't a joke.
But noone says, what happend when I try to. My console sees this firmware on my pendrive and ps3 want to install it - so I'am asking "what happend when..."?
you cannot install the CFW on any official firmware above 3.55. Also, you cannot install it on any firmware below 3.55. You must be at 3.55
Great thread!!! One question, what is Toggle QA??? Why is it necessary???
thanks for that excellent guide.
Rebug 3.55-1 -> 3.55 Kmeaw -> CFW 4.21
past the 4.21 update the ps3 got stuck on a blackscreen and a filesystem repair was necessary after a reboot.
i nearly crapped my panties...
anyhow, things running smooth now!
you sir, did a good job! thanks for sharing / keep it up
ps: any reason for QA menu not to show up @ CFW4.21?
- SCPH-30004 [V4] - unmodded
- SCPH-35004 [V4] - Sniper V3 (GT3 A-Spec Bundle)
- SCPH-50004 [V10] - unmodded
- SCPH-50004 [V10] - DMS4 SE Lite
- PSP-1004 - PRO CFW 6.60 C2
- CECH-2104A - REBUG 4.41.2
please, study a little more about PS3 Custom Firmware and homebrew before asking this kind of things in the first place.
Originally Posted by StRess
Of course your PS3 sees the file, you can een grab an MP3 file, rename it to update.pup and the ps3 will still recognize it. but AFTER that, the system will say it is a corrupt update or something like that and the process will be stopped, nothing will happen to your ps3, it wont get damaged.
TO EVERYONE, PLEASE, YOU CANNOT, I REPEAT, CANNOT INSTALL CFW WHILE ON OFW ABOVE 3.55, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE AT THE MOMENT, SO PLEASE ASKING UNTIL YOU SEE SOMETHING ON THE FRONT PAGE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.