The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Post By chesh
Post By chesh
Quick Question About HDD upgrade and CFW.
Quick Question About HDD upgrade and CFW. –
I have a few quick questions. I read the thread about HDD upgrade already Im just a bit confused. I have a new HDD i want to put into the PS3 and I dont care about saving anything from my old PS3 HDD.
1. Do i just put the new HDD in the PS3 and format it to Fat32 there, or should I do it on my PC before putting it into the PS3?
2. I want to use CFW 3.55 again, so I assume I just install it in recovery like I did last time.... but when I put the new HDD in the PS3 wont it want me to install the lastest firmware and thus I wont be able to install the 3.55 CFW?
3. Last time I followed a guide to install the CFW and put mulitmann on the PS3. Is the link to that on here and Im just missing it?
I really appreciate your help/advice or a point in the right direction. Also if there is anything else I should know before installing the new HDD please feel free to let me know. Im a noob to this, and CFW/Homebrew but I already did it once so im hoping it comes back to me.
1. Put the HDD in the PS3 it will format it to UFS2 (the format used by the PS3)
2. If you have a slim it will ask for your firmware when formatting the HDD, so have it ready on a thumbdrive in x:\PS3\UPDATE (just like you had to install it in recovery). You can use the 3.55 CFW. If you have a phat PS3, it will just format the drive and you'll boot right into the XMB.
3. You can find all the items you need in the links in my sig.
I have a PS3 fat which already has CFW 3.55 on it. So I just pull the old HDD and put the new HDD in and have it format. Then when it asks for the firmware, I just choose the CFW 3.55 i downladed and put on a flash drive? I dont need to have the actual 3.55 firmware on the new HDD first?
I know im asking the same thing again... I just thought I read it bricks the system if you dont put your ps3 back to 3.55 ofw, then pull the drive, then put in the new hdd and install 3.55 ofw, and last install 3.55 CFW. But your saying since I have a fat PS3 (and dont care about anything on the old HDD) I can just stick the new HDD in and pick the CFW right off the bat? So there is nothing I need to do to the PS3 before I pull the old HDD and put the new one in? Sorry for making this so complicated. Im just triple checking before I do this.
If you have a phat ps3, just put in the new drive and let it do it's thing. When it's done, you'll be at the XMB. You shouldn't need to provide any firmware. The only reason everyone suggests going to OFW first before doing anything is because it eliminates anyone doing anything wrong. It became kind of the standard response around here when troubleshooting. But, I have personally upgraded the HDD in my phat PS3 and it booted, formatted, and then rebooted back into the XMB. I didn't have to do anything other then wait.
Ok Ill gonna do it right now then. Thanks Chesh!
One final question:
After I install 3.55-kmeaw, I can then install (from here): (FW 3.4+) FULL package__: multiMAN 02.00.02 (152 MB) And finally install the BDEMU2.pkg in that order correct?
1. You won't have to install any CFW if it's already installed. On the phat's the whole firmware is held in the 256MB NAND chip. The reason you have to supply the firmware on slims, is that they only have a 16MB NOR chip and the rest of the firmware is stored on the HDD. Hence why it asks you for it when you're installing a new HDD.
2. Yep, install MM and then BDEMU2.pkg and that should be it. You may want to install fixpermissions.pkg if you plan on FTPing games to your PS3, as some FTP clients screw up the permissions of folders on the PS3 and it's the easiest way to fix it.
Well that was a surprise. I just finished putting the new HDD, it formated, and im back in the XMB with the CFW still on there. Thanks for the help with that! I have an external drive for my backups, so ill be transfering them to the internal via Multimann that way not over FTP.
However the other day I messed up system files on the main HDD (where multimann is saved to) so Multimann isnt working correctly and I dont know if i screwed anything else up with the CFW. So I want to reinstall everything (CFW 3.55 and Multiman) fresh.
Is the best way to do that to go into recovery and install 3.55 ofw, then install the 3.55 cfw from recovery? Will that also remove my old Multiman files and allow me to install it fresh as well?
I promise this should be the end of my questions!
if you install over multiman it should reinstall everything,
Originally Posted by moxyman
you can also use rebugs package manager to uninstall multiman
or maybe try installing blueray emulator that might be it too