The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
PSJailbreak / PSdowngrade - New PS3 Owner - Quick Questions
PSJailbreak / PSdowngrade - New PS3 Owner - Quick Questions –
Sorry to post a new thread, i' ve just ordered a PS3 Slim 120GB ( Got 1 from ebuyer lunch time specials ), and bought a geniune PSjailbreak & PSdowngrade. Can i please ask a few questions.
1. When you " PSdowngrade ", i will lose any games that i have backed up on my internal HDD ( as it formats the HDD - i assume ). What's the best option here? Backup all my games to an external HDD ( FAT32 ), and then copy them back once i have downgraded? What's the best way to do that? Should i always backup games to the external and then copy back to internal, or always internal and then copy them to the external?
2. Can you run different versions of software/backup managers/ftp software on a geninue PSjailbreak? Or do i need to purchase a PS3GO aswell?
3. Does the Backup Manager V1.1 for the geninue PSjailbreak allow you to run games with no dvd in the drive?
4. Can you format the external HDD with NTFS with Backup Manager 1.1??
5. Is there anything else i should know after entering into this new world of fun?
1. its unlikely u'll need to downgrade. brand new 120gb's should come with firmware 3.30
2. a psjailbreak and p3go's are just dongles used to jailbreak the ps3. once u've jailbroken it u can run whatever homebrew u like
3. not all games will run discless regardless of backup manager
5. there's probably loads but ask when u get your ps3.
Does it really format your internal HDD? That means all savegames = gone (unless you backup)?
Gonna do the same thing as you next week so I pretty much have the same questions.
Hi, thanks for the replies, on my question 1 i meant...
1. The reason i've ordered a PSdowngrade is so that i can play COD, and GT5 on v3.50, and then i will "PSdowngrade" to v3.41 to play homebrew, and my legally backed up games. I have read that downgrading formats the PS3 Internal HDD, so wondered the best way to keep my games safe ( i.e on an external HDD, and how i move them to the internal drive once i've downgraded
1. Yes, you will lose any data on your internal hard drive. Games backed up to it, game saves, anything you bought or downloaded off PSN, etc. A majority of games can be played off an external hard drive. If you're going to be downgrading often (which I wouldn't advise. There is always a tiny chance a downgrade could brick your ps3, or you'll encounter a bad block in the NAND chip. You may never run into a problem, but be careful.) I would just store as much as you can on external, and if you run into a game that's internal only, just FTP it in and play it.
2. You can run any of the Backup Managers you find on these forums, without issues. The problem you'll encounter is the authentic PSJailbreak cannot be upgraded. There has been many improvements in game compatibility through the various PL3 and Hermes v4b payloads. I would order the P3Go in addition, and flash it with a PL3 variant. You'll have to search around for which PL3 payload you should use, there's some variants of it that are only useful for developers, and may make you run into problems playing your games. (I think PL3 no_auth is the best choice, but double check that) If you run into problems with PL3, than I'd go ahead and try Hermes v4b. With the P3Go, you can have two payloads flashed to the device at once, so it'll be just a matter of booting the ps3 with a micro SD card in the P3Go if you want to use PL3, or without a micro SD card to use hermes. Any of the various homebrew, emulators, ftp, etc., should run fine on the original psjailbreak.
3. I would advise against using the Backup Manager 1.1 from the PSJailbreak team. It seems to only have a few features ripped from Moh's Open Manager. Stick to Gaia's, Open Manager (Moh's, theres a open manager 2.1 that's by another developer and unrelated), Rogero's, or MultiMan. I use Rogero and Open Manager, but you'll be happy with all of them. Check the open source forum here for download links for those managers. However, If you don't need to use discless mode, I would just keep a disc in. It improves game compatibility, and in the case of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, trying to run the game with no disc can corrupt your PS3. Some variants of PL3 don't seem to have high compatibility with discless, but I believe one variant does. Hermes v4b has good compatibility. But just keep a disc in, your ps3 will only check the drive at launch of the game. You're not really saving your blu-ray laser by playing everything discless.
4. Currently, external hard drives can only be formatted to Fat32. Because your external is so large, you may have to download a third-party formating tool if using Windows to format it. Just Google fat32formater. Obviously you can't play games with single files larger than 4gb, but in those cases you can just FTP the game to your internal. I've never used it, but theres also a feature in a few of the Backup Managers where you can split the files that are bigger than 4gb, and transfer it onto your internal to play, while keeping it on the external. (So when you upgrade to play GT5, you'll still have that game on the external.
5. I think you have a good start. If you just read around these forums, you'll find answers to all of the questions you have now, and will know how to fix anything that pops up in the future. Check out some of the emulators being developed, and check the various threads about the different Backup Managers to pick what you like the most. They have various appearances and features.
Enjoy your new toy, Paul. If ya run into any more questions, just let us know.
ok so i have a question ,what if i want to keep going back and forth between 341 &350,and i dont want to loose all my data?could i have 1 hdd for 341 and 1 hdd for 350,or would i need to have THREE hdd's?1 for 341,1 for 350,and 1 to connect when i do the downgrade?
because if i have the 3.50 hdd in and i dg to 3.41 ,it will format my 3.50 drive,then if i go up to 3.50 with my 3.41 hdd connected it will format my 3.41 hdd,so i figure if i have a 3rd drive i can just connect that everytime i go up or down so it always just formats that drive
anyone know if this would work?or if the 3rd drive is even needed?
I would not be downgrading that much. The downgrade is truly meant for people who have update or gotten an update ps3, and they want to have homebrew.
Originally Posted by themuse
When you downgrade/upgrade so much you incenses the chances of something going wrong during the updating processes. And then your end up with a bricked system.
The best thing to do is either stick with 3.41 games for a while or stick with 3.50 games. But if you give it time we will find a way around this 3.50 firmware. Its always been cat and mouse with sony, just look at the psp
**edit forgot to add that some game save files are copy protected. Which means you cant transfer them to an external harddrive
PS3 Slim 160gb MFW 3.55
Gotta have my online i got hooked on it
e3 card reader Order Nov 25 2010 got Feb 1 2011 from lightake. <~~~They suck boycott them
That's if you ever recieve the ps downgrade and jailbreak
I've been emailing them for weeks about my order and payment but they havent replied once so I've asked for my money back.
whom did you order ?
I ordered for a PSDowngrade day before yesterday to HolidayCarts, paid them and this morning i have the dongle in my hand
aahh yes, i apid a little extra for fast UPS Shipping - Its fast
and also requested them to enlist the item as SAMPLE to avoid any extra charges, but they listed it as a Document but anyways that saved me from any extra charges.
Now all i am waiting for is the Downgrade files to come out...........
Last edited by kazzarian; 11-29-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Reason: missed the last line