The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Post By indirect76
Kmeaw 3.55 -> Rogero 4.46 and PS2 on hardware emu
Kmeaw 3.55 -> Rogero 4.46 and PS2 on hardware emu –
Forgive me if this has been already answered a million times "learn to search the forums blah blah", there's just so much info around lately with new firmwares and all kind of contradicting info, I'd rather have a direct reply to my specific questions if you don't mind:
I've been running kmeaw 3.55 for a very long time now, which has worked for most games, but many also are not working, even after trying the patches etc cause they were meant for newer firmwares.
1. What's the most popular choice nowadays for a CFW? I've seen a lot of news about Rogero, is that what most are using nowadays?
2. Will I lose any data on my disk like game backups, saves, account login info etc?
3. Can I just install directly from kmeaw's 3.55?
4. What are the advantages of doing this "upgrade" other than more current games working without a patch? worth the (bricking) risk?
5. Will current games in disk that have been patched for 3.55 keep working or will I need to restore a "clean" copy?
6. PSN. Is this still unsafe nowadays? I heard about the spoofers a while ago, but then people reported still being banned with that. What's the situation these days if I want to access the PSN through Rogero 4.46?
7. PS2 games: (I'm aware of the PS2 Classics stuff). I have one of the very first PS3s with the hardware PS2 emulator, which I bought right in Tokyo during the initial launch in 2006 (it even says "Made in Japan" on the back). To my understanding, this hardware was quickly removed from later versions of the console and was just emulated by software; I guess all the efforts to bring PS2 backup play to the PS3 are centered towards this case as the norm (no HW emu). Given my case of having the HW part, is there any easier solution than messing with the classics stuff?
7 part 2: either through classics or other ways, will I be able to play different region PS2 games? (originals from EU/US are currently blocked as my PS3 is Japanese)
1. Rogero is popular, but I don't think new versions are being developed. I suggest Rebug.
2. You will lose no data on your hard drive.
3. You can, but I suggest going to 3.55 OFW first. Also run and set QA toggle before you go to 3.55 OFW. I suggest opening a new thread specifically about this. You don't want to mess this part up.
4. All the homebrew is going to be developed with 4.xx in mind. Things like PS2 classics will only work on the later 4.xx CFW. If anything amazing comes out, you can bet it will work on 4.xx, but maybe not 3.55
5. I have Rebug and have no problems running 3.55 fixed games. I've heard Rogero has issues with this, but I don't know first hand.
6. PSN is always unsafe. There are things you can do to minimize the risk, but there is always a chance of getting banned.
7. PS2 Classics do not use the BC hardware. The only way to use that hardware on PS2 backups is to use a Cobra Dongle.
7 part 2: I'm not sure about this one.
, great advice.
7 Part 2: I'm pretty sure any region PS2 game will work on any console if it has been converted to a classic, I've done EU, US and JAP and never had a problem. Rules for original PS2 discs will still apply of course.
Alright, it's done, thank you did the QA toggle and then installed Rogero 4.46.
Thanks. Pity about the PS2 part, would be nice to have a solution through hardware without all the hassle involved or Cobra.
One final question, do I need a spoofer for PSN (risks involved aside) now I'm running 4.46?
Yeah, every six month or so there is news that the Cobra dongle has been hacked, but nothing ever comes from it. I'm not sure about the best way to connect to PSN. I keep mine offline, so I suggest creating a new thread so other members will be likely to view it and rspond.
The only way I can see my PS3 back on-line with PSN/SEN is with the E3 NOR FLASHER setup for dual boot + the second HDD for CFW stuff. Otherwise you'd do well to just stay away from PSN/SEN while your running CFW. Since your on CFW4.46 now, you could log into your account just fine. As long as your not running any Homebrew / Backup within PSN/SEN you should be ok. I had my PS3 with Habib 4.46 a slightly older (or indeed the first 4.46CFW available at the time), for a brief time just to mope 'round the PSN Store. To then make sure I had Auto Log-in disabled. I haven't gotten banned yet. Touch Wood! But, I wouldn't recommend it.
Originally Posted by indirect76
I see; just wanted to download a few stuff I boght from the store very long ago before I had CFW.
Most games work now with 4.46 with no issues, the only thing is my mame/sega/fba emulators stopped working D: I tried installing updated versions but they won't even install, is that normal, do they have to be recompiled specifically for newer CFWs?
Went online in the end and downloaded all my stuff, no ban yet.. I think. Will make a new thread for the homebrew issue.