I've a 640GB PS3 fat with 3.41 and am unsure if I should jailbreak or upgrade to 3.42.
Here are my thoughts;
- I've enjoyed online play and buying PSN games, trophies, etc, but that could all be wrecked if people with hacked games get back online with their Pt trophies and cheats. I've been missing my MAG sessions.
- I'd appreciate faster loading times and the quieter sound of the PS3 when it isn't using the BD drive. Also seems like the PS3 would last longer.
- I honestly don't intend to pirate games - I've already a backlog of games to play and can always pick up new ones at reasonable prices (I normally wait until the price drops). I have a history of aarr in the past (PS3, Wii) but always find that I spend more time copying games than I did enjoying playing them.
- I'd appreciate better access to the ps3's HD. I've found disk management on the PS3 pretty frustrating, eg I wanted to copy my HD home movies to the PS3 I end up with an unusable mess with incorrect file timestamps. I would be a lot happier with ftp access (or a *nix shell if possible).
- I'd like subtitle and mkv support (not that I like mkv).
- I always feel left out because I didn't hack my psp (I had the choice and selected a 3000, and then updated the firmware just before the TIFF exploit came out). Seems like a hacked PSP is required to use Open Remote Play, and also enables the web browser to access the 3000's extra memory among other benefits.
Basically, if Sony would release an ftp client (that could access the section with photos and movies on), and would enable an HD install option on all games (I'm happy to put the disk in the drive to show I own it) I think I'd pick the simplicity of an unbroken console. Sure that won't happen, but neither will a jailbroken ps3 be as straightforward as a regular one.
Am I the only one (on this forum) who is undecided, and can anyone help me to decide to upgrade or buy jailbreak hardware?