I mainly use a discless machine and find it pretty decent running Kmeaw 3.55.
For the ones that black screen, converting them to packages has fixed a good number of them (AAA, JD Pro Golf, MW2 etc.) It isn't as hassle free as using a disk until they work, but it's so handy not having to change disks every time and try cut down on heat / wear too (you can get PS3's without lasers pretty cheap aswell).
It's mostly automated when you're converting games to work from packages, I use Fail0verflows tools and GH's, it's no problem when you've done it once. You can also find them pre-packaged in threads like this -..
Using an external seems to give slightly better results, although you have to use FAT32 and split the files so they can be read by the backup manager.
Here's a great tute for making pkg files for games (I'm not sure who to credit for it, can't remember):
P.S. It's good to see some heavy handed mods lately, the place was turning into a joke with all the kids around. I remember seeing a post consisting of "hello". Literally someone's first contact with a computer / internet.. Why here!?
My Tutorial for setting up and editing eboots to work discless and non-JB. I am on 3.41 still.
Tools you need
Cygwin (For Windows) - http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
PS3 Tools Compiled + Keys - http://download25.mediafire.com/gfqupm7hshwg/2ykgb8jpqduiwwl/ps3tools.7z
psn_package_npdrm - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=i0keds9j
Also need an FTP client or a way of moving the eboots and game files you have around on your PS3.
Ive got windows so im writing this for windows. Linux people you should be savvy enough to figure out what you need from this.
1. Download and do a default install of cygwin.
2. Start cygwin up once, then close it. (Creates the file structure you need for the next part)
3. Download and extract ps3tools.7z. Go to the folder you extracted and take every file except the folder .ps3 and put it in you c:/cygwin/bin/ folder (Assuming you did a default install, this is where the cygwin folder should be). Take the folder .ps3 and put it inside c:/cygwin/home/(Your Username Here)/
4. Download and extract the psn_package_npdrm.exe file to the same place.
5. Okay open up cygwin again.
6. Take an eboot.bin file you want to modify and put it inside the folder c:/cygwin/home/(Your Username Here)/.
7. Type unself eboot.bin modified_eboot.elf (You can call the .elf file whatever you want)
8. Open up your modified_eboot.elf inside a hex editor (I used HxD)
9. **Important** Any modifications you do cant change the file size of the elf. Okay go into your elf and change the dev_bdvd to dev_hdd0, dev_usb000 (right most port), dev_usb001 (on BCs this is usb006)., dev_usb002, dev_usb003, dev_cf, dev_ms or dev_sd. This is where it takes some imagination. By changing the dev_bdvd to dev_hdd0, its going to look at the dev_hdd0 path (Your Ps3 Hard-drive) for the files (or whichever path you want). That means if it says /dev_bdvd/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/ when you change it to /dev_hdd0/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/ (or your chosen path) it will look at that place for the files it needs. So if they arnt there it wont work. Also if you add/subtract to the elf here, you will get the error 80010007 when you start up your game. Your just looking to do an exact replacement.
Example time - I just got FF13 to work for me, i changed the path from /dev_bdvd/PS3_GAME/ to /dev_hdd0/FF13GAME/. I then went and created the folder FF13GAME inside my dev_hdd0 on my PS3 and put all the appropriate files in there (For FF13 you just need the /USRDIR/white_data/ Folder.) I will post the pkg file I made in the next post.
10. Okay save your elf file with the modifications you made.
11. Type "make_self_npdrm.exe modified_eboot.elf EBOOT.BIN UP0001-xxxxyyyyy_00-0000111122223333" (Without the quotes and the xxxxyyyyy being the game ID for your backup)
12. You now have your eboot.bin file you need.
13. Now you need to make your pkg file folder structure and associated files. First create a file called xxxxyyyyy.conf and place this inside it. (Where xxxxyyyyy is put your game id)
Content-ID = UP0001-xxxxyyyyy_00-0000111122223333
k_licensee = 0x00000000000000000000000000000000
DRM_Type = Free
Content_Type = Game_Exec
PackageVersion = 01.00
14. Next create a folder called xxxxyyyyy and copy these files and folders into it.
Everything the files (Not the folders) from the PS3_GAME folder for your game
Make a USRDIR folder and put the modified EBOOT.BIN you made at step 11 into it.
15. Open your param.sfo file inside your hex editor or sfo editor (I like this one PS3Tools.com) and change DG to HG. (DG = Disc Game, HG = Hard Drive Game)
16. Back to cygwin and type psn_package_npdrm xxxxyyyyy.conf xxxxyyyyy
17. You should now have a package file if you did everything correctly.
18. (3.55 Only) now type package_finalize.exe UP0001-xxxxyyyyy_00-0000111122223333.pkg
19. Copy the package file to a USB drive and go install it on your PS3.
20. Start up your ftp program and create or move the USRDIR files (Minus the eboot) to the directory you pointed at inside your modified eboot.