After lots of testing i came to the following conclusions:
You have 3 types of laser lens burnouts:
A) The DVD diode burnout
B) The mechacon crash coil burnout
C) The tracking coil burnout during slow reading
A) The DVD diode burnout:
is the result of a manufacturing fault - the laser diode simply goes bad after too short of a time of operation. Some believe this can be delayed/prevented by decreasing the intensity of the diode - increasing the pot on the laser head.
B) The mechacon crash coil burnout:
When the mechacon crashes during patching of the bus by a modchip (bit error during patching) the laser lens driver chip outputs maximum possible voltage on the coils and melts the lens.
C) The tracking coil burnout during slow reading:
As the lens seeks and reads sectors, it does it by:
1) moving inside the laserhead (current flows thru tracking coils)
2) by moving the whole head (current flows thru the spiral motor)
During normal reading around the disc, the current varies thru the tracking couls and they should be able to take it.
But suppose there is a bad surface on the disc, where the lens takes longer to read it. If the tracking coil current in that position is great, it will flow long enough to melt the lens.
We have 2 types of fixes:
A) the current limiting fixes which limit on the input of the driver chip. examples: diode, zenner, summ0ne
B) the shutdown fixes which shut down the current completely either by shutting down the ps2 (matrix PIC, comsoft) or by just shutting down the driver chip (subzero)
What fix to use against which type of burnout?
- The DVD diode burnout - trim the pots on the laser head (not worth the trouble imo)
- The mechacon crash coil burnout - use a fast shutdown fix (comsoft, subzero) or a strong limiting fix (summ0ne) or any of the 2 types in conjunction (diodes, PIC, ...)
- The tracking coil burnout during slow reading - use a good limiting fix on tracking (summ0ne tracking part / zenner tracking part)
Possible fix bad side effects despite saving your ps2:
- summ0ne focus part (very picky on media brands)
A full solution with full safety, best performance and media brand compatibility:
- comsoft or subzero fix in conjunction with summ0ne/zenner tracking fix.
Lately this one is my top pick (i updated the install instructions according to my above latest theory):