The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
Selecting a modchip...
Selecting a modchip... –
First I want to apologize because it seems like I might be posting in the wrong forum, I tried searching for the correct one but there is no specific one for standard modchip questions. If it's too troubling simply direct me to the right forum and I will bother you no more.
As for my question, I intend (as many) to buy a modchip for my PS2, however some questions came up that I couldn't really find answer for:
- Although it was never specifically noted it seems that some/all modchips interact with the PS2 laser lens, probably not physically but it is enough that the modchip consumes power from the laser lens circuit to degrade the power available for the lens, which in time will cause the lens to wear out faster. First, is this correct? If yes, how bad is it? Which of the modchip is the safest in the term of not/less harming the laser lens? I don?t want my lens to wear to soon
- I have heard many voices saying that the DMS3 is the best choice for a modchip today. However, assuming one is not going to use all the fancy features the DMS3 has to offer (HDD support, media player on memory card and others), would you still consider it to be the best modchip?
- The Magic-V uses the PS clock instead of having one itself. This surely effects the price (the cheapest modchip, ~20$ at divineo) but how efficient is it compared to other modchips that has internal clocking device?
- What other modchip you recommend? The Magic-V is very attractive on price, but how good is it compared to other modchips like Messiah2, or the DMS3 (bare bones, excluding the fancy features).
- Only half modchip related: I've done some research about burned CDs and "stamped CDs" and it seems that the difference is just in the physical layer. That got me wondering what makes the PS2 and other DVDs able to detect if the media is a backup or original. If it's the recorded data then why can't there be a killer CopyCD app that will 1:1 clone a CD? I'm sure I?m missing something, I just don't know what ...
I know it was long ... many thanks you for your patience,
It never hurts to get more than one opinion! You'll find some quality answers on this board mate - Good Luck with your mod project...