The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!
NH3 Test Report
NH3 Test Report –
Here is my first test report for NH3 chip. My main focus is on the boot rate at this test report to compare with Magic 3U (not 3.1). I will run 2nd test on stability issues later tomorrow.
Installation Time: 1 hour (Ref only)
Test Time: 2 hours
Tested Unit: PAL V7 SCPH-39002 PS2, GH-022, 060 Bios
Note on features:
1. DVD9 Supported on PAL PS2
2. 3 "RESET Tap" modes for PS2, PSX and DVD Movie
3. PSX Picture shifted with NTSC games
For PS2 games:
Average boot rates on 7 PS2 games: 82% (based on continues 140 times booting )
1. FIFA 2002 NTSC (DVD Silver) - 85% (3/20 in red screen or browser)
2. Collin McRae Rally 3 PAL (Prodisc DVDR) - 80% (4/20 in red screen or browser)
3. GT3 A-Spec PAL (Original DVD) - 75% (5/20 in red screen or
browser) Note: Aged disc used.
4. Ready to Rumble 2 Round 2 JAP (CDR) - 85% (3/20 in red screen or browser)
5. Apes Escape 2 JAP (Pioneer DVDR) - 65% (7/20 in red screen or
6. WRC 2 Extreme PAL (No brand DVDR) - 85% (3/20 in red screen or browser)
7. The Getaway (Unknown brand DVDR) 95% (1/20 in red screen or browser)
For PS1 game (Only done one game test as not in great interest )
Syphon Filter 3 (CDR) - 90% boot rate (1/10 in red screen)
The Art of War (PAL, Zone 0) - OK (Note: just check playing, didn't test. Further on 2nd test)
It's a good result to compare with Magic 3U (not 3.1). The boot rate of 82% is considered very reliable to me. As for people who looking for budget modchips, they wouldn't mind to tap RESET once or twice more when it shows up red screen.
The 140 boots test was just made purely for examanation purpose and it might be meaningless for general "users" or "players". People are chipping their PS2 for play games and no interest on modchip study (unless turn theirself into modchip tester or installer ). So in most situation, it would only take 2 - 3 boots on each game enjoyment period (from 30 mins to whole day and stability issues should be focused).
So far, I would say the NH3 is a budget solution with good performance. It's not as good as Messiah 2 yet, but it's truely better then Magic 3U (not 3.1) at this moment.
I believe Charlie_PS2 & Relayer will bring their test results with more in-depth details later on. Stay tune
You put percentages on booting I like that
thats good stuff.
Astina, I will expand my tables to include loading times for identical games.
I'm impressed with what you've done and the conclusions you have reached. It's all about what the user wants in price/performance terms and your assessment hits that spot.
Dear Astina & Charlie_ps2,
Can you guys also test if AR2/GS2 works with this NH3? Thx!
(also, is there another backup game typical for testing? I heard someone mentioned MaxPayne and KingdomHeart before that they don't work on all chip.)
(BTW, just curious, how is the boot successful rate of Original Messiah, M2 & M2Clone? Nearly 100%?)
Thank you very much!
red screen –
Is the "red screen" the one that says "Please Insert Playstation 2 or Playstation software" or a different screen? The only times I have ever seen the "Please Insert..." screen were once when one of the connections went bad, when my stupid friend holds reset too long, or if the disc is a coaster.
Config is XO-2, NTSC U/C v7.
i believe thats the one. the background sound is very distinct and you see red clouds and cubes..
hey, i have a v1 010 bios (i kno i should get rid of it, but im still gonna hold on 2 it, prob ick up a v7 soon...), does n e body kno if the NH3 will work on this console?
2nd NH3 Test Report
2nd NH3 Test Report –
Here is my 2nd test report on NH3 chip. (Focused on stability issues)
1. Ace Combat 4 (HK Silver) - 1 hour play - OK! (Nothing abnormal happened)
2. Collin McRae Rally 3 (Prodisc DVDR) - 2 hours play - OK! (Nothing abnormal happened)
3. GTA3 Vice City (Unknown brand DVDR) - 1 hour play - OK! (Nothing abnormal happened nor "loading" appeared)
Note: "Loading" during game play with Vice City may depend on DVDRs and laser units. The same disc had lots "Loading" on my other v5 Messiah.
4. Life As A House (Original D9 DVD Movie) - 2 hours play (full movie) - OK! (Nothing abnormal happened)
I don't have any chance to test "Kingdom Hearts" and AR2/GS2. Hope I can get one to test soon.
For the Messiah on PAL V5 SCPH-30002R:
Average boot rates on 5 PS2 games: 100% (based on continues 50 times booting)
1. FIFA 2002 NTSC (DVD Silver) - 100% (0/10 in red screen or browser)
2. Collin McRae Rally 3 PAL (Prodisc DVDR) - 100% (0/10 in red screen or browser)
3. GT3 A-Spec PAL (Original DVD) - 100% (0/10 in red screen or browser) Note: Still the same aged disc used.
4. Ready to Rumble 2 Round 2 JAP (CDR) - 100% (0/10 in red screen or browser)
5. Apes Escape 2 JAP (Pioneer DVDR) - 100% (0/10 in red screen or browser)
After been stuck on TV for whole day, I finally realised I need to do something for living
The NH3 seems quite stable and performed as promised. In my point of view, NH3 shown no sign related to Messiah/Messiah 2 and it's rather closer to Magic 2/3 but enhanced.
In conclusion, the NH3 is truely a good choice for budget solution and I will test it on NTSC unit to exam compatibilities later on.
Thank you for your great work Astina!
nh3 runs in v7 without probs, but freezes in v5. tested with pal consoles. i do NOT recommed the nh3 for V5. use it in v7 only.
booting in V5 is always ok. but play some games longer, they will freeze.